xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
Dear MiKTeX users,

I am transitioning over to xindy from makeindex and was running into
problems where makeglossaries.exe gave errors due to xindy.pl not being
able to find the bin path.  Looking into xindy.pl at the line number given
(415, in this case), I saw this relevant line:

elsif ( -d "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/x64/internal" ) {    # MiKTeX 64-bit
       $cmd_dir = "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/x64/internal";

(I am on 64-bit MiKTeX, obviously)

I printed out the value $cmd_dir to debug the issue and it gives me:
C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\scripts\xindy

This path is where the Perl script is run from, but *not* where
makeglossaries.exe is run from (which invokes xindy.pl).  Therefore, when
it tries to go backwards two directories (../../) from $cmd_dir, it is
looking within my user AppData stuff rather than the MiKTeX installation
which is in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64.

I am able to have everything working properly by changing xindy.pl and
hardcoding the MiKTeX bin path.  But, I think this is not what is supposed
to be happening.  I installed everything via MiKTeX's package installer -
nothing manual.  So, I am wondering if the configuration (e.g. xindy.pl
location or xindy.pl's path determination) is wrong?  Or am calling
makeglossaries.exe incorrectly (using "@makeglossaries.exe -d _build_files
"%1"" from the base path of the .tex file I am working with)?

I added the xindy.pl path into TeXworks, just to be safe, but the same
behavior occurs.  Also, searched around for details and configuration, but
most of the xindy stuff relating to MiKTeX that I found is ~1.5-2 years old
or seemingly irrelevant to this issue.

If anyone knows what is going on, that would be great  If I can present any
additional details to clarify, let me know.  Thanks in advance!

Best,
Chris

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Sat, 4 Mar 2017 13:53:04 +1100 schrieb Christopher Weedall:

> This path is where the Perl script is run from, but *not* where
> makeglossaries.exe is run from (which invokes xindy.pl).

Can you run xindy directly without using makeglossaries? (I don't
have a 64-bit system, so I can't test).

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
Hi Ulrike,

Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention this.  Calling it from makeglossaries.exe
is what tipped me off to the problem.  Calling xindy directly gives me the
same issue.  Specifically:

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64>xindy
xindy.pl: Cannot locate bin directory at
C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl line
415.

Not that the miktex\bin folder is in my system environment path and xindy.pl
still cannot find it, because the path seems to be coded incorrectly (at
least for my system - again, unless I am invoking it incorrectly).

When changing the path as mentioned in my previous email, calling xindy
results in this:

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64>xindy
You need to specify --out-file if the raw index is read from standard input.

usage: xindy.pl [-V?h] [-qv] [-d magic] [-o outfile.ind] [-t log] \
            [-L lang] [-C codepage] [-M module] [-I input] \
            [--interactive] [--mem-file xindy.mem] \
            [idx0 idx1 ...]

GNU-STYLE LONG OPTIONS FOR SHORT OPTIONS:

 -V / --version
 -? / -h / --help
 -q / --quiet
 -v / --verbose
 -d / --debug          (multiple times)
                       (supported: script, keep_tmpfiles, markup, level=n)
 -o / --out-file
 -t / --log-file
 -L / --language
 -C / --codepage
 -M / --module         (multiple times)
 -I / --input-markup   (supported: latex, xelatex, omega, xindy)

The relevant Perl code (in the original script):

    # library directory
    if ( $ENV{XINDY_LIBDIR} ) {
    $lib_dir = $ENV{XINDY_LIBDIR};
    } elsif ( '@libdir@' ne '@libdir' . '@' ) { # GNU configure at work?
    if ( -d '@libdir@/xindy' ) {    # /usr style
        $lib_dir = '@libdir@/xindy';
    } else {
        $lib_dir = '@libdir@'; # /opt style
    }
    } elsif ( -f "$cmd_dir/../lib/xindy.mem" ) { # /opt style
    $lib_dir = "$cmd_dir/../lib";
    } elsif ( -d "$cmd_dir/../lib/xindy" ) { # /usr style
    $lib_dir = "$cmd_dir/../lib/xindy";
    } else {
    die "$cmd: Cannot locate xindy library directory";
    }

Where $cmd_dir is defined as:

our $real_cmd = Cwd::realpath($0);
our $cmd_dir = dirname($real_cmd);

Based on printing $cmd_dir in xindy.pl and running it again via xindy.exe,
it seems $0 is determining its value from the xindy.pl directory (in
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\) rather than the xindy.exe directory (in
C:\Program Files\).

I am a bit confused about this because it seems a bit like a bug on my
system (i.e. the $0 argument should be getting passed on from the .exe file
to the .pl file).  Except, it seems to be working for people by-and-large,
which seems either like a configuration problem on my end or an incorrect
call the the script.

Hope this helps a bit!

Best,
Chris

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Ulrike Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Sat, 4 Mar 2017 13:53:04 +1100 schrieb Christopher Weedall:
>

> > This path is where the Perl script is run from, but *not* where
> > makeglossaries.exe is run from (which invokes xindy.pl).
>
> Can you run xindy directly without using makeglossaries? (I don't
> have a 64-bit system, so I can't test).
>

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
Sorry about this.  I accidentally copied and pasted the wrong chunk from
the script.  Here is the actual, relevant portion from xindy.pl:

    if ( $is_w32 ) {
       if ( -d "$cmd_dir/../../../bin/win32" ) {    # TeX Live
       $cmd_dir = "$cmd_dir/../../../bin/win32";
       } elsif ( -d "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/x64/internal" ) {    #
MiKTeX 64-bit
       $cmd_dir = "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/x64/internal";
       } elsif ( -d "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/internal" ) {    # MiKTeX
32-bit
       $cmd_dir = "$cmd_dir/../../miktex/bin/internal";
       } elsif ( -d "$cmd_dir/../../../../bin" ) {    # W32TeX
       $cmd_dir = "$cmd_dir/../../../../bin";
       } else {
       die "$cmd: Cannot locate bin directory";
       }
    } else {

Am Sun, 5 Mar 2017 11:29:55 +1100 schrieb Christopher Weedall:

> Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention this.  Calling it from makeglossaries.exe
> is what tipped me off to the problem.  Calling xindy directly gives me the
> same issue.  Specifically:
>
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64>xindy
> xindy.pl: Cannot locate bin directory at
> C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl line
> 415.

This sounds as if you did install xindy with the package manager
(user).

I suggest to deinstall it, and reinstall it with the package manager
(admin) so that xindy.pl is in

 C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl

The xindy code is not really adapted to multiple texmf-trees.

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
I followed the suggested procedure, refreshing FNDB and updating formats
(user + admin) prior to reinstall and following the reinstall.  Upon
invoking xindy.exe the first time, it downloaded and setup up the .pl files
... into the UserData directory again.  I figured this happened because I
called it from a regular user command prompt.  Repeated the process,
invoked xindy.exe from an elevated prompt...same problem.

I copied the xindy folder into the MiKTeX script directory in Program Files
and deleted the UserData xindy folder.  Refreshed FNDB and updated formats
(user + admin), to be certain.  This *did* get the invocation working (i.e.
fixed it).

I'm concerned that although this worked properly, it will either break or
not update upon a future update.  Any ideas what I may have done wrong
during the installation process?

For reference, after installing xindy via the admin package manager, the
following details accompanying the download install in the command prompt
(via either regular user or elevated prompt):

C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64>xindy

starting package maintenance...
installation directory: C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
package repository:
http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/CTAN/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/
lightweight database digest: cd0965ebbb7fa65525d4da14db258bf6
going to download 133165 bytes
going to install 432 file(s) (1 package(s))
downloading
http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/CTAN/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/xindy.tar.lzma.
..
133165 bytes, 30.48 KB/Sec
extracting files from xindy.tar.lzma...

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Ulrike Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Sun, 5 Mar 2017 11:29:55 +1100 schrieb Christopher Weedall:
>
> > Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention this.  Calling it from
> makeglossaries.exe
> > is what tipped me off to the problem.  Calling xindy directly gives me
> the
> > same issue.  Specifically:
> >
> > C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64>xindy
> > xindy.pl: Cannot locate bin directory at
> > C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl
> line
> > 415.
>
> This sounds as if you did install xindy with the package manager
> (user).
>
> I suggest to deinstall it, and reinstall it with the package manager
> (admin) so that xindy.pl is in
>
>  C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl
>
> The xindy code is not really adapted to multiple texmf-trees.
>

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
I did not look deeply into the texmf structure of xindy, but it appears my
"solution" really only helped to invoke xindy.  When attempting to actually
compile a test document, it complains about not being able to locate some
modules.  It appears that this leaves me back with my original situation
and installing xindy via the admin package manager didn't help.

Please let me know if I may have done something incorrectly - or any other
options that I can try.  Thanks!

Best,
Chris

Am Sun, 5 Mar 2017 22:29:08 +1100 schrieb Christopher Weedall:

> Upon invoking xindy.exe the first time, it downloaded and setup up the .pl files
> ... into the UserData directory again.

You shouldn't install xindy through the on-the-fly method. This will
use the UserData older as you discovered.

Use the package manager (admin) and make sure that you got
everything xindy related (xindy and miktex-xindy-bin)-

Or is you want to do it with the command line:

mpm --admin --install=xindy
mpm --admin --install=miktex-xindy-bin

Re: xindy.pl incorrect bin path? Or incorrect invocation?

Christopher Weedall
The problem that I just realized is that I accidentally typed xindy in the
keywords field and not the name field of the package manager.  It was
coming up with a handful of packages which seemed to get xindy.exe
installed in the miktex installation.  Yet, I wasn't seeing the proper
xindy packages appearing in the package manager.  I think this is where my
confusion was coming from.

Anyway, I got it sorted and everything seems to be working as expected.
Thanks, Ulrike!

Best,
Chris