trying to get revtex4.1 added to miktex

david goodmanson
Hello,
I am totally new to Latex and Miktex.  I downloaded Miktex ok, but I have to add Revtex4.1 in order to submit an article to a journal.  There is a 'revtex4' option in the package manager but I have not tried that because I am not sure if it is actually  version 4 or 4.1, and if it was 4, would I be able to get it out of there later?.  So I downloaded 4.1 and managed to unzip it (which was a struggle) into a folder under Miktex2.9 that I called 'revtex41'.  If I run the sample tex file that is several folders down in the revtex41 folder, it works.  But if I copy that tex file somewhere else (such as the desktop) and try to run it from there, it complains about not having Revtex 4.1, in the following way:

So I tried adding my revtex41 folder to the path.    Not that I am sure that doing that would fix the problem, but it was worth a try.  I used the instructions that came along in the zip file:[1] In Miktex options go to the 'root' tab and add a path to the new folder, which I did.  Then I hit 'apply' as well. [2] Go to the 'general' tab and hit 'refresh FNDB' which I did.But Miktex will not store that change.  When I go out of Miktex options and back in, that path is not there.

I tried doing the install in the box shown above.  That didn't work either.I would like to be able to put a tex file anywhere I want and have it run.  Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?
Thanks, Davewindows 10, 64 bit Miktex.

Re: trying to get revtex4.1 added to miktex

Jerzy Wróbel
Dave,
Miktex package revtex4 contains older 4-0 version, however,
Miktex package revtex is actually the current revtex4-1,
so just install the later one via Package Manager.
Jerzy

> Hello,
> I am totally new to Latex and Miktex.  I downloaded Miktex ok, but I have
> to add Revtex4.1 in order to submit an article to a journal.  There is a
> 'revtex4' option in the package manager but I have not tried that because
> I am not sure if it is actually  version 4 or 4.1, and if it was 4, would
> I be able to get it out of there later?.  So I downloaded 4.1 and managed
> to unzip it (which was a struggle) into a folder under Miktex2.9 that I
> called 'revtex41'.  If I run the sample tex file that is several folders
> down in the revtex41 folder, it works.  But if I copy that tex file
> somewhere else (such as the desktop) and try to run it from there, it
> complains about not having Revtex 4.1, in the following way:
>

> So I tried adding my revtex41 folder to the path.    Not that I am sure
> that doing that would fix the problem, but it was worth a try.  I used the
> instructions that came along in the zip file:[1] In Miktex options go to
> the 'root' tab and add a path to the new folder, which I did.  Then I hit
> 'apply' as well. [2] Go to the 'general' tab and hit 'refresh FNDB' which
> I did.But Miktex will not store that change.  When I go out of Miktex
> options and back in, that path is not there.
>
> I tried doing the install in the box shown above.  That didn't work
> either.I would like to be able to put a tex file anywhere I want and have
> it run.  Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?
> Thanks, Davewindows 10, 64 bit Miktex.

Re: trying to get revtex4.1 added to miktex

david goodmanson
Thanks, Jerzy,  it worked!I can now use tex files that are not inside the Miktex program file folder.  The example tex files I downloaded from the the journal website came in their own mini-environment with a small set of other folders and files.  If I copy a single tex file over to some other folder somewhere else and try to use that, it still does not work, so I think it needs some files in the mini-environment, which I will try to figure out.  But at this point I can use Miktex with Revtex4.1.  I mean, once I learn how to use latex at all.
Thanks, Dave