Quantcast

tréma

danpoe
Hi everydody,

I just have updated my MikTeX software and some of my old input files do not work
properly with TeXworks anymore.

My keyboard is always set to US-International, so that I can type in French, Dutch, German
with all the accents without difficulty in Wordpad, Notepad, Libre Office, etc.
For example ë is always simply obtained by typing Shift”e in such programs.

When using in TeXworks the command \”{e}  I  now get funny output though, not at all ë.
Any idea why this is occuring ?

Thanks a lot,
                       Dan.

Re: tréma

juan tolosa
Here is a solution I got from the web (it works, I checked):

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{document}

Toksöz Toksë

\textsc{Toksöz}

TOKSÖZ

\end{document}

________________________________

Re: tréma

danpoe
Thanks a lot Juan,

It works indeed (partly). If I use \textsc{aloë}, I get ALOË.
Since I don't know this command, would you be so kind to
tell me how I can get lower case aloë ?

I also detected that TeXworks interpretes the double quote " as two
characters (twice ' ) although it should be a single character.
I consider this as a severe bug.

Çiao,
                    Dan.

Here is a solution I got from the web (it works, I checked):

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{document}
the

Toksöz Toksë

\textsc{Toksöz}

TOKSÖZ

\end{document}

________________________________

Re: tréma

M.Kraft
Hi Dan,

search the Web for "textsc latex" for the answer.

Kind regards,
Marckus

On 30.01.2017 03:14, danpoe wrote:

> Thanks a lot Juan,
>
> It works indeed (partly). If I use \textsc{aloë}, I get ALOË.
> Since I don't know this command, would you be so kind to
> tell me how I can get lower case aloë ?
>
> I also detected that TeXworks interpretes the double quote " as two
> characters (twice ' ) although it should be a single character.
> I consider this as a severe bug.
>
> Çiao,
>                     Dan.

Marckus Kraft        -       Software-Dokumentation
mailto:          [hidden email]
Homepage:     http://www.software-dokumentation.net
Profil:    http://profil.software-dokumentation.net
Mobil: +49 173 57 60 232 Office: +49 69 38 99 51 72

Re: tréma

William Atwood

On 29/01/2017 9:14 PM, danpoe wrote:

> I also detected that TeXworks interpretes the double quote " as two
> characters (twice ' ) although it should be a single character.
> I consider this as a severe bug.

No.  The double quote is "allowed" by LaTeX as a shorthand for two
successive quote marks.  This is a designed-in (desirable) feature, not
a severe bug.  Either a single "double quote" character or two
successive "single quote" characters will produce a "closing double
quote" in the output.

  Bill

--

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830