problem with figure display using dvipdfm

problem with figure display using dvipdfm

Alan G Isaac
I am try to include the file
http://www.american.edu/econ/problems/temp.eps
in a document using dvipdfm.

My LaTeX file:
\documentclass[10pt]{book}
\usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[htp]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{temp.eps}
\end{figure}
\end{document}

My results:
1. Yap correctly displays the figure using the default
   MiKTeX postscript interpreter mgs.exe (i.e., Ghostscript)
2. If I do
        epstopdf --outfile=temp.pdf temp.eps
   I get a nice, properly bounded PDF that both Acrobat and
   Ghostscript display nicely.
   But if I set my dvipdfm option to
        D "epstopdf --outfile=\"%o\" \"%i\" "
   figure inclusion fails.
3. If I use the MiKTeX default conversion
        D "mgs.exe -q -sPAPERSIZE=a0 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -dUseFlateCompression=true -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=\"%o\" \"%i\" -c quit"
   dvipdfm produces the basic figure but none of the text.
4. If I try providing my own Ghostscript in place of mgs.exe
   this does not change anything:
   dvipdfm produces the basic figure but none of the text.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan Isaac