pdflatex no longer works from the command line...

pdflatex no longer works from the command line...

Hugh S. Myers-2
After an unsuccessful run, the last text I saw was:

Package ifplatform Warning:

>     shell escape is disabled, so I can only detect \ifwindows.
>

> )
> (C:\Users\hsmyers\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\xstring\xstring.sty
>
> (C:\Users\hsmyers\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\generic\xstring\xstring.tex))
> (C:\Users\hsmyers\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9\tex\latex\framed\framed.sty))
>

> ! Package minted Error: You must invoke LaTeX with the -shell-escape flag.
>

> See the minted package documentation for explanation.
>
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

 I modified my pdflatex.ini file using initexmf
--edit-config-file=miktex\config\pdflatex.ini and added shell-escape to it
but when I ran pdflatex again I got:

 > pdflatex fn.tex
>
> Sorry, but pdflatex did not succeed.
>
> You may want to visit the MiKTeX project page, if you need help.

This now happens no matter how I run pdflatex from the command line. It
works fine from TeX apps like WinEdt and TeXworks,

This under Win7 Pro with MiKTeX 2.9

Current contents of my pdflatex.ini file:

main_memory=2000000
> EnableWrite18=p
> extra-mem-bot=10000000
> stack-size=20000
> shell-escape

The shell-escape line was added after the failed run. BTW, given the
compiler message, I 'x'-ed out of the paused run of pdflatex and am not
sure how that qualifies as a failure but am hardly in a position to argue.

So. How do I revive pdflatex and is my pdflatex.ini file correct?

--hsm

Re: pdflatex no longer works from the command line...

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Mon, 15 May 2017 08:24:23 -0600 schrieb Hugh S. Myers:

>  I modified my pdflatex.ini file using initexmf
> --edit-config-file=miktex\config\pdflatex.ini

why miktex\config? I only use

initexfm --edit-config-file=pdflatex

> So. How do I revive pdflatex

Delete or rename the local .ini-file

> and is my pdflatex.ini file correct?

I can't test it now, but I wouldn't set shell-escape through the
ini.

Re: pdflatex no longer works from the command line...

Hugh S. Myers-2
The command was cut and paste! I'll delete the .ini file and start over
(hopefully?) Thanks, Ulrike!!

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Ulrike Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mon, 15 May 2017 08:24:23 -0600 schrieb Hugh S. Myers:
>

> >  I modified my pdflatex.ini file using initexmf
> > --edit-config-file=miktex\config\pdflatex.ini
>
> why miktex\config? I only use
>
> initexfm --edit-config-file=pdflatex
>

> > So. How do I revive pdflatex
>
> Delete or rename the local .ini-file
>
> > and is my pdflatex.ini file correct?
>
> I can't test it now, but I wouldn't set shell-escape through the
> ini.
>

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: pdflatex no longer works from the command line...

Hugh S. Myers-2
I'm up and running!!

I renamed the existing file and created a new one minus the shell-escape
line and then ran from the command line with the --shell-escape parameter.
Worked fine. I may investigate adding shell-escape to the ini file if I'm
feeling brave :)