missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Alan G Isaac
I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I'm having
including an EPS file using dvipdfm.  In trying to determine
what version of Ghostscript is used by epstopdf, I found
that MiKTeX's epstopdf apparently does not support the
--gsexec option.  Why?  And, is there a way to pick my
version of Ghostscript?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

Re: missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Francesc Serra Graells
Alan G Isaac wrote:

> I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I'm having
> including an EPS file using dvipdfm.  In trying to determine
> what version of Ghostscript is used by epstopdf, I found
> that MiKTeX's epstopdf apparently does not support the
> --gsexec option.  Why?  And, is there a way to pick my
> version of Ghostscript?
>
> Thank you,
> Alan Isaac

Hi,

I found that --gsopt is also not supported:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=854079&group_id=10783&atid=360783

BTW, you can use epstodpf 2.2.20 distro that supports both --gsexec and
--gsopt and many other parameters:

http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/support/epstopdf

Hope it is of any help...

Best regards,

Paco

--
Dr. Francesc Serra-Graells
Integrated Circuits and Systems Group

RE: SPAM:missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Philip G. Ratcliffe-4
> I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I'm having
> including an EPS file using dvipdfm.  In trying to determine
> what version of Ghostscript is used by epstopdf, I found
> that MiKTeX's epstopdf apparently does not support the
> --gsexec option.  Why?  And, is there a way to pick my
> version of Ghostscript?

Surely, if all you need is to convert a ps to a pdf then you can use your favourite version of Ghostscript/Ghostview directly.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe

Re[2]: SPAM:missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Alan G Isaac
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, "Philip G. Ratcliffe" apparently wrote:
>> I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I'm having
>> including an EPS file using dvipdfm.  In trying to determine
>> what version of Ghostscript is used by epstopdf, I found
>> that MiKTeX's epstopdf apparently does not support the
>> --gsexec option.  Why?  And, is there a way to pick my
>> version of Ghostscript?

> Surely, if all you need is to convert a ps to a pdf then
> you can use your favourite version of
> Ghostscript/Ghostview directly.

I am trying to get dvipdfm to behave nicely.
That's the goal here.  For details see my other post.

Thanks,
Alan Isaac

Re: missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Francesc Serra Graells <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:

> Alan G Isaac wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to trouble shoot some problems I'm having
> >including an EPS file using dvipdfm.  In trying to determine
> >what version of Ghostscript is used by epstopdf, I found
> >that MiKTeX's epstopdf apparently does not support the
> >--gsexec option.  Why?  And, is there a way to pick my
> >version of Ghostscript?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Alan Isaac
>
> Hi,
>
> I found that --gsopt is also not supported:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=854079&group_id=10783&atid=360783
>
> BTW, you can use epstodpf 2.2.20 distro that supports both --gsexec and
> --gsopt and many other parameters:
>
> http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/support/epstopdf

Yes, it is a bug/feature that MiKTeX uses it's own epstopdf.

Hans

Re[2]: missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Alan G Isaac
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Francesc Serra Graells apparently wrote:
> BTW, you can use epstodpf 2.2.20 distro that supports both
> --gsexec and --gsopt and many other parameters:
> http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/support/epstopdf

OK, that is pretty definitive.
The epstopdf plus mgs.exe shipping with MiKTeX is quite
broken from the point of view of dvipdfm.
Changing to epstopdf 2.2.20 with Ghostscript 8.51 makes
dvipdfm almost happy.

BUT: the bounding box is still not handled right.
So my question is: here are two perfectly good EPS
http://www.american.edu/econ/problems/temp.eps
http://www.american.edu/econ/problems/temp2.eps
How can I get dvipdfm to handle both correctly?

Alan Isaac

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, "Hans F. Nordhaug" apparently wrote:
> it is a bug/feature that MiKTeX uses it's own epstopdf

Please at least provide some access to a version number.
Choice of Ghostscript executable would be welcome as well,
for times like these when there is a mysterious problem.

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

Re: missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Alan G Isaac <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, "Hans F. Nordhaug" apparently wrote:
> > it is a bug/feature that MiKTeX uses it's own epstopdf
>
> Please at least provide some access to a version number.
> Choice of Ghostscript executable would be welcome as well,
> for times like these when there is a mysterious problem.

File a bug/feature request at SourceForge.

Hans

RE: Re[2]: missing gsexec option in epstopdf

Michael T. Metz
Alan:

I can't remember where I found this, but
have you tried the following?

Mike
-----

Print the image to file and save it as a .ps (PostScript) file (e.g. "myImage.ps")
Open the PostScript ("myImage.ps") file in GhostView and go "file->PS to EPS" and save it as Step1.eps
Then convert ("file->Convert...") the same PostScript file ("myImage.ps") to an eps file using epswrite. Save this file as temp.eps
Open temp.eps in any text editor and copy the two lines beginning with:
%%BoundingBox: ...
%%HiResBoundingBox: ...Then open Step1.eps in the text editor and paste over this line:
%%BoundingBox: ...(There shouldn't be any "%%HiResBoundingBox: ..." line in it so by pasting in the other two lines you should add one...)
Save this modified Step1.eps as "MyImage.eps" and you're done. MyImage.eps can be added to LaTeX and it'll look just as good as it did in the original!

Alan G Isaac wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Francesc Serra Graells apparently wrote:
>
>>BTW, you can use epstodpf 2.2.20 distro that supports both
>>--gsexec and --gsopt and many other parameters:
>>http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/support/epstopdf
>

> OK, that is pretty definitive.
> The epstopdf plus mgs.exe shipping with MiKTeX is quite
> broken from the point of view of dvipdfm.
> Changing to epstopdf 2.2.20 with Ghostscript 8.51 makes
> dvipdfm almost happy.
>
> BUT: the bounding box is still not handled right.
> So my question is: here are two perfectly good EPS
> http://www.american.edu/econ/problems/temp.eps
> http://www.american.edu/econ/problems/temp2.eps
> How can I get dvipdfm to handle both correctly?
>
> Alan Isaac

Hi Alan,

Although I jumped from dvipdfm to pdftex quite time ago, I am curious about
this question!

At a glance, the only difference between both Postscript source is in the
box location referred to the absolute page coordinates:

**** temp.eps *****
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%BoundingBox: -45 -36 361 228
%%HiResBoundingBox: -44.575 -35.2211 361 227.422

****temp2.eps *****
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%BoundingBox: 103 264 509 528
%%HiResBoundingBox: 103.213 264.678 508.787 527.322

but both EPS figures exhibit the same box size (i.e. about 406 x 264). In
fact, after converting them to PDF with:

epstopdf --gsexec="c:\Programs\gs\gs8.51\bin\gswin32c.exe"
--gsopt=-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer filename.eps

I can not see any difference in the Acrobat Reader 7.0.3, so what is the
problem with dvipdfm?

Paco

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=10783&atid=110783&func=detail&aid=1292229