Quantcast

miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.

miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.

Jan Schulz-2
Hi!

I'm trying to repackage miktex as a conda package (which has
`<root>\scripts` in path). For that I want to try to put it in a
directory structure similar to

<root>\script (for bin)
<root>\miktex\<rest of the stuff>

Basically the idea is to put pdflatex and friends into the path and
put everything else cleanly somewhere else and user downloaded stuff
into appdata.

While investigating if that is possible (or how "near" I can get to
this structure), I ran into the following error:

```
λ miktexsetup.exe --verbose
--local-package-repository=.\miktex-repository   --package-set=basic
download
[... downloads find ...]

λ miktexsetup.exe --verbose
--local-package-repository=.\miktex-repository   --use-registry=no
--common-config=.\miktex\config   --common-data=.\miktex\data
--common-install=.\miktex\install   --common-roots=.\miktex\root
--modify-path=no   --user-config="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"
--user-data="<LOCALAPPDATA>\MiKTeX"
--user-install="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"   --trace   install
initializing setup service...
miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
```

I tried to both the 32bit and 64bit variants available from the
download page. Other versions of the same commandline also didn't
work, even this breaks:

```
λ miktexsetup.exe install
miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
```

I've no clue what to try next :-( Thanks for any help!

Jan
--
Jan Schulz
mail: [hidden email]

Re: Fwd: miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:08:26 +0100 schrieb Jan Schulz:

> I'm trying to repackage miktex as a conda package (which has
> `<root>\scripts` in path). For that I want to try to put it in a
> directory structure similar to
>
> <root>\script (for bin)
> <root>\miktex\<rest of the stuff>
>
> Basically the idea is to put pdflatex and friends into the path and
> put everything else cleanly somewhere else and user downloaded stuff
> into appdata.

You could run into problem e.g. with xindy which has a quite
hardcoded path to its module.

Why don't you use texlive which already has such a structure with
the binaries outside the texmf-tree?

> miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.

Do you get an error too if you use the GUI installer?

On 11 March 2016 at 12:50, Ulrike Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You could run into problem e.g. with xindy which has a quite
> hardcoded path to its module.
>
> Why don't you use texlive which already has such a structure with
> the binaries outside the texmf-tree?

Basically because I used miktex during the last years :-) Will
investigate texlive...

>> miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
> Do you get an error too if you use the GUI installer?

Yes, tried:

```
setup-2.9.5870-x64.exe --unattended  --dry-run  --auto-install=ask
--paper-size=A4  --portable  --no-registry  --package-set=basic
--install-from-local-repository
--local-package-repository=.\miktex-repository
--user-config="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"  --user-data="<LOCALAPPDATA>\MiKTeX"
--user-install="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"
```

which gives me a password dialog (??? I want a portable installation,
why do I need to auth?) and then this error:

```
---------------------------
MiKTeX Setup Wizard
---------------------------
The operation could not be completed for the following reason:

MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
```

Schöne Grüße aus Dresden,

Jan

Am Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:12:37 +0100 schrieb Jan Schulz:

>>> miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
>> Do you get an error too if you use the GUI installer?
>
> Yes, tried:
>
> ```
> setup-2.9.5870-x64.exe --unattended  --dry-run  --auto-install=ask
> --paper-size=A4  --portable  --no-registry  --package-set=basic
> --install-from-local-repository
> --local-package-repository=.\miktex-repository
> --user-config="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"  --user-data="<LOCALAPPDATA>\MiKTeX"
> --user-install="<APPDATA>\MiKTeX"
> ```
>
> which gives me a password dialog (???

Perhaps you are behind some firewall/vpn/proxy/whatever (on second
thought: you are using a local repository so you don't need to be
online). Perhaps you don't have the rights to install in the
folders?

(You could also make a bug report, perhaps there is something wrong
with the installers. I hadn't to install a miktex for a long time,
so I wouldn't know).

Re: miktexsetup.exe: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.

Jan Schulz

just FYI: I got my system working by

* Including batch files in .\Skripts for every *.exe in
.\Library\miktex-dir\miktex\bin which just call
`@%~dp0..\Library\miktex-dir\miktex\bin\<name>.exe` (lets hope that
there is no tool which explicitly calls `pdflatex.exe` instead of
`pdflatex`...)
* Changing the `miktexstartup.ini` from `Portable` to a regular one
(`[Auto]\nConfig=Regular`) and setting `[PATHS]` ->
`CommonInstall=..\..` (and the same for `CommonData` and
`CommonConfig`). The final miktexstartup.ini looks like this:

```
[Auto]
Config=Regular

[PATHS]
CommonInstall=..\..
CommonData=..\..
CommonConfig=..\..
```

This file makes miktex look for already installed packages and configs
in the regular "Portable" location but installs new packages in the
user directory.

The result is now a conda package which can be installed by `conda
install -c conda-forge miktex`. If someone wants to have a look: here
is the recipe: https://github.com/conda-forge/miktex-feedstock

This package now lets you install a PDF exporting jupyter notebook
server (or an other app which uses pandoc+latex to convert to pdf) via
`conda install -c conda-forge miktex pandoc notebook nbconvert`.

Kind regards,

Jan
--
web: http://www.katzien.de