makeindex stopped working

mapfus
Hi everybody,

So I am working on a book project and for some time now the indexing stopped working. We’re not getting any error messages or anything else, the index files simply aren’t created (and so of course the index doesn’t appear in the pdf). The indexing never made any problems for a long time, just now that we’re working on the new volume we noticed it. Though I’ve already tested if it still works with older volumes and it doesn’t. There is only one PC where the indexing still works, and it’s running on older MikTeX packages. So we are assuming that it must have something to do with the new packages. Unfortunately I didn’t write the indexing code myself, somebody else did it long before my time. I attached it below. It is loaded to the preamble from an external document. Sadly I don’t know much about these things. I could imagine that you would have to change the code a bit for it to work again. Maybe someone of you knows the answer.

Cheers,
Marius

\usepackage[makeindex]{splitidx}

\usepackage[xindy, splitindex]{imakeidx}
\def\xindylangopt{-M lang/english/utf8-sapere}

\makeindex[name=stellen,title = Stellenregister (in Auswahl),  options=\xindylangopt]
\makeindex[name=namen,title = Namens- und Sachregister,  options=\xindylangopt]

Re: makeindex stopped working

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:09:35 +0200 schrieb Marius Pfeifer:

> So I am working on a book project and for some time now the
> indexing stopped working.

> \usepackage[makeindex]{splitidx}

Such code snippets are useless to debug such a problem. One needs a
complete example that can be compiled to test the issue.

> \usepackage[xindy, splitindex]{imakeidx} \def\xindylangopt{-M
> lang/english/utf8-sapere}

utf8-sapere is imho not a default module of xindy. Is is correctly
installed?

Re: makeindex stopped working

mapfus
Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I’m not sure if I can give a complete example. What would that include? Would it need the entire preamble? I just don’t know what code is important and which I can leave out. I’ll try to figure something out anyways.

Cheers,
Marius

Am Mon, 17 Jul 2017 13:54:22 +0200 schrieb Marius Pfeifer:

> Thank you so much for your quick reply! I’m not sure if I can give a complete example. What would that include?

Everything that is needed to compile (on another PC!) and reproduce
your problem.

>I just don’t know what code is important and which I can leave out.

Test it. If you can remove it and still compile and see the issue it
is probably not important.

Re: makeindex stopped working

mapfus
Hi,

so I tried to produce a minimal complete example. This is the result:

\documentclass[fontsize=11pt,a4paper,draft=false,twoside=semi]{scrbook}

\makeatletter
\renewenvironment{theindex}
{\raggedright\small\let\item\@idxitem \parskip .0pt\@plus .3\p@\relax}{}
\makeatother

\usepackage[makeindex]{splitidx}

\makeatletter
\newcommand\subIIIitem{\@idxitem \hspace*{30\p@}} %Einzug der dritten Unterebene
\makeatother

\usepackage[xindy, splitindex]{imakeidx}
\def\xindylangopt{-M lang/english/utf8}

\makeindex[name=stellen,title = Stellenregister (in Auswahl),  options=\xindylangopt]
\makeindex[name=namen,title = Namens- und Sachregister,  options=\xindylangopt]

\usepackage[indentunit=0.5cm,itemlayout=relhang]{idxlayout}

\begin{document}

        \section{Philon von Alexandria: eine kurze Biographie}

                Philon\index[namen]{Philon} ist sehr sparsam mit autobiographischen Äußerungen, so dass wir kaum etwas über seine Person wissen. Josephos\index[namen]{Josephos} teilt uns mit, dass er einer der wohlhabendsten Familien Alexandrias\index[namen]{Alexandria} angehörte, die beste Beziehungen zur römischen Kaiserfamilie und Handelsbeziehungen bis nach Indien pflegte. Sein Bruder war Alexander der Alabarch\index[namen]{Alexander der Alabarch}, einer der reichsten Geschäftsleute seiner Zeit, der sogar Prinzen Geld lieh und das ägyptische Anwesen des römischen Kaiserhauses verwaltete.

        \cleardoublepage

        \printindex[stellen]

        \printindex[namen]

\end{document}

I tried to leave out all the unnecessary things. This version should still compile but not produce any index files. I found that if I chose to compile the index files only, I get the following error message:

„This is makeindex, version 2.15 [MiKTeX 2.9.6350 64-bit] (kpathsea + Thai support). Scanning input file Philon.idx...done (0 entries accepted, 4 rejected). Nothing written in Philon.ind. Transcript written in Philon.ilg.“

Maybe this helps as well.

Also, as Saravanan Murugaiah mentioned (thank you for that!), xindy may require “-shell-escape” mode. So we noticed that on the PC where the indexing still works, a user defined command is added (see attached screenshot). So I used this command as well and the compiler actually starts to create the index files but encounters some errors at the end:

splitindex: The script engine could not be found. splitindex: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

texindy: The script engine could not be found. texindy: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

texindy: The script engine could not be found. texindy: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

No file Philon-stellen.ind.
No file Philon-namen.ind.

So does that basically mean we would need perl for it to work?

Cheers and thanks again for your help,
Marius

Am Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:11:17 +0200 schrieb Marius Pfeifer:

> Hi,
>
> so I tried to produce a minimal complete example. This is the result:

https://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2615/

After I moved the perl script to the correct subfolder and updated
the FNDB (perhaps not needed) your file,  compiled fine with

pdflatex --shell-escape.

Re: makeindex stopped working

mapfus
Hey,

thanks for your quick reply! So I got activeperl from their website and installed it (I use Windows 10 and texstudio btw), moved the perl script to the correct subfolder and updated the FNDB as you said, but I still got the same error messages (using your command “txs:///pdflatex --shell-escape”):

splitindex: The script engine could not be found. splitindex: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

texindy: The script engine could not be found. texindy: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

texindy: The script engine could not be found. texindy: Data: scriptEngine="perl.exe"

Then I thought maybe the scripts can’t find the fresh perl installation so I reinstalled the packages via the miktex package manager to no avail. Then I reinstalled miktex but I still got the same error messages. So I did a bit of googling on the error messages but for the exact phrasing “The script engine could not be found“ I only found one result in a forum where you have also been active:  http://golatex.de/index-wird-nicht-mehr-erstellt-t18569.html unfortunately this didn’t help me. Other than that I only found related troubleshooting on “the Perl interpreter could not be found.“ Which may or may not be related to my problem. I followed the steps described here anyways: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/158796/miktex-and-perl-scripts-and-one-python-script . At the end it mentions a test to check if it works by using a command like this in the command prompt: “splitindex –version”. I did that and I got the version back so I assume I did everything right, however when I try to compile the document I still get the same error messages as before.  I’m pretty much out of ideas now. Also I feel like the problem isn’t that the scripts can’t be found but rather that miktex can’t find the perl.exe. Could that be a possibility?

Cheers,
Marius

Am Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:55:08 +0200 schrieb Marius Pfeifer:

> Also I feel like the problem isn’t that the scripts can’t be
> found but rather that miktex can’t find the perl.exe. Could that
> be a possibility?

Sounds so. What do you get if you run perl.exe --help on a command
line?

Re: makeindex stopped working

mapfus
I get this, which I assume is the help page? I guess that’s what I am supposed to get.

Usage: perl.exe [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]
  -0[octal]         specify record separator (\0, if no argument)
  -a                autosplit mode with -n or -p (splits $_ into @F)
  -C[number/list]   enables the listed Unicode features
  -c                check syntax only (runs BEGIN and CHECK blocks)
  -d[:debugger]     run program under debugger
  -D[number/list]   set debugging flags (argument is a bit mask or alphabets)
  -e program        one line of program (several -e's allowed, omit programfile)
  -E program        like -e, but enables all optional features
  -f                don't do $sitelib/sitecustomize.pl at startup
  -F/pattern/       split() pattern for -a switch (//'s are optional)
  -i[extension]     edit <> files in place (makes backup if extension supplied)
  -Idirectory       specify @INC/#include directory (several -I's allowed)
  -l[octal]         enable line ending processing, specifies line terminator
  -[mM][-]module    execute "use/no module..." before executing program
  -n                assume "while (<>) { ... }" loop around program
  -p                assume loop like -n but print line also, like sed
  -s                enable rudimentary parsing for switches after programfile
  -S                look for programfile using PATH environment variable
  -t                enable tainting warnings
  -T                enable tainting checks
  -u                dump core after parsing program
  -U                allow unsafe operations
  -v                print version, patchlevel and license
  -V[:variable]     print configuration summary (or a single Config.pm variable)
  -w                enable many useful warnings
  -W                enable all warnings
  -x[directory]     ignore text before #!perl line (optionally cd to directory)
  -X                disable all warnings

Run 'perldoc perl' for more help with Perl.

Am Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:13:26 +0200 schrieb Marius Pfeifer:

> I get this, which I assume is the help page? I guess that’s what I am supposed to get.

Fine. Now in the **same** command line switch with cd to the folder
of your example tex-file and then enter

pdflatex --shell-escape name-of-your-file

Re: makeindex stopped working

mapfus
This is quite frustrating / embarassing / annoying but I may have just solved it by simply restarting my computer. I wonder how many steps I could have saved that way. Maybe the perl installation was all I needed after all. I will check on other computers. Thank you so very much for your help! Hopefully the issue is now resolved.

Cheers,
Marius