input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
I am running some old files under amstex and amsppt.sty and would like to
include some figures. Most of my old figures were in .eps format.

My old commands don't work. Please can someone tell me what format the
figures must be in and what command I must use to import them.

Thank you

James Ridley

Re: input graphics in amstex

Ruslan Sharipov
Dear James Ridley,

I am AmSTeX user since 1990s until now. You can find examples of placing EPS figures into amstex source files in some of my ArXiv papers:  http://arxiv.org/find/grp_cs,grp_math,grp_physics/1/au:+Sharipov/0/1/0/all/0/1 , e.g. in this one:  http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04705 --->  http://arxiv.org/e-print/1506.04705 --->  http://arxiv.org/pdf/1506.04705.pdf

Best regards Ruslan Sharipov

Re: input graphics in amstex

George N. White III
On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 2:12 PM, James Ridley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am running some old files under amstex and amsppt.sty and would like to
> include some figures. Most of my old figures were in .eps format.
>
> My old commands don't work. Please can someone tell me what format the
> figures must be in and what command I must use to import them.

Not much to go here, but I can suggest several approaches:

If you are planning a journal submission, AMS-TeX has been replaced by
http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/amslatex.  You would need to
convert your documents to LaTeX.  If you make extensive use of your own
macros this could be a big job.

Depending on the fonts used in your old documents you may encounter
problems with current TeX distributions.  One workaround is to rasterize
EPS figures and import them as images.   It is also possible to convert
fonts in EPS files to outline paths.  Rasterizing fonts tends to look good
on a screen but needs a high resolution for typesetting.  Outlined fonts
have poor screen quality (no hinting) but work well for typeset output.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/248390/can-i-use-latex-packages-from-ctan-in-plain-tex
--
I have had success with older documents replacing macros to
include eps fgures with \includegraphics from the latex graphix package.

> Thank you
>
> James Ridley

George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Re: input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
Dear George,
Thank you very much, but I am exactly in the position you describe, of using
a lot of my own macros, so conversion to LaTeX isn't really an option. This
is a set of lecture notes (over 200 pages) that I wrote in the 90s, using
PC-TeX, but the version I had is not compatible with my new computer, and
they wanted a fortune for an upgrade. Amstex with amsppt.sty recognises all
the macros except for the one for importing the figures, which was \special.
Perhaps I shall have to resort to cut and paste in the literal sense!
Thanks again
James

wrote:

> I am running some old files under amstex and amsppt.sty and would like to
> include some figures. Most of my old figures were in .eps format.
>
> My old commands don't work. Please can someone tell me what format the
> figures must be in and what command I must use to import them.

Not much to go here, but I can suggest several approaches:

If you are planning a journal submission, AMS-TeX has been replaced by
http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/amslatex.  You would need to
convert your documents to LaTeX.  If you make extensive use of your own
macros this could be a big job.

Depending on the fonts used in your old documents you may encounter
problems with current TeX distributions.  One workaround is to rasterize
EPS figures and import them as images.   It is also possible to convert
fonts in EPS files to outline paths.  Rasterizing fonts tends to look good
on a screen but needs a high resolution for typesetting.  Outlined fonts
have poor screen quality (no hinting) but work well for typeset output.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/248390/can-i-use-latex-packages-from
-ctan-in-plain-tex
--
I have had success with older documents replacing macros to
include eps fgures with \includegraphics from the latex graphix package.

> Thank you
>
> James Ridley

George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Re: input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
Dear Ruslan,
Thank you very much. Having a look at your TeX file helped me with several other small things. Unfortunately it has not (yet) made my pictures appear, but it has told me that \special (which is the command I had previously) is still valid. I saw somewhere that MikTeX only works with pdf images, so that is what I am trying. At least the error message "non-pdf \special ignored" has gone from the log file. I'll keep trying.
Spasibo
James

I am AmSTeX user since 1990s until now. You can find examples of placing EPS figures into amstex source files in some of my ArXiv papers:  http://arxiv.org/find/grp_cs,grp_math,grp_physics/1/au:+Sharipov/0/1/0/all/0/1 , e.g. in this one:  http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04705 --->  http://arxiv.org/e-print/1506.04705 --->  http://arxiv.org/pdf/1506.04705.pdf

Best regards Ruslan Sharipov

Re: input graphics in amstex

George N. White III
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM, James Ridley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear George,
> Thank you very much, but I am exactly in the position you describe, of
> using
> a lot of my own macros, so conversion to LaTeX isn't really an option. This
> is a set of lecture notes (over 200 pages) that I wrote in the 90s, using
> PC-TeX, but the version I had is not compatible with my new computer, and
> they wanted a fortune for an upgrade. Amstex with amsppt.sty recognises all
> the macros except for the one for importing the figures, which was
> \special.
> Perhaps I shall have to resort to cut and paste in the literal sense!
> Thanks again
> James

I have worked on documents with similar issues.    Most of the plain TeX
code still worked with pdftex, but there were macros to import EPS figures
that were intended to be used with some dvi to PS processor that no longer
exists.   I converted the EPS figures to PDF with outline fonts and replaced
the EPS import with \includegraphics from the graphicx package.   A similar
strategy is described in <
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/85133/how-to-include-eps-files-in-plain-tex>.
  TeX Live provides the simple graphicx.tex wrapper -- easy enough to
put the code into your own plain tex macros.

juan tolosa
Hi James,

I had exactly the same problem. The \special command was used in the past for TeXtures in the mac, and for PCTeX in the PC, but it is no longer used. I was fortunate enough to get good advice from the MacOSTeX community, which is great. I attach a sample file showing how you can attach pictures to documents, if you use plain TeX.

You may use .jpg, .eps, and other extensions in your pictures, it should work fine (just don't add the extensions when referring to the picture).

For this example to work, you must have your picture, which I named here "Figure1," in the same folder as your TeX document.

For the example in the first NOTE after the document to work, you must also have a "Figure2" and a "Figure3.jpg" in the same folder.

The example in the SECOND NOTE shows how one could put two pictures side by side. In this case, I had created a subfolder called "pictures" inside the folder that contained the TeX document. This is useful when you have a document that has lots of pictures and you want to avoid clutter. Of course, if you don't want to create a subfolder, just replace "pictures/incenter2" by simply "incenter2".

Let me know if this works. For me, it works both in MacOSTeX, and in MikTeX.

Good luck,

                        Juan Tolosa

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Just in case, I include the code in this message as well:

\input miniltx.tex

\RequirePackage{graphicx}

Trying the recommendation by Ross Moore on how to do graphics in plain \TeX.

\includegraphics[height=60mm]{Figure1}

Let us see if this works.

\bye

NOTE:

Here is another valid way of including a figure:

\includegraphics[scale = .35, angle = 0]{Figure2}

(the above one was in .jpg)

and also:

\includegraphics[scale = .3, angle = 0]{Figure3.jpg}

The above were used in Problem sets 19 and 20 of

the Math Seminar Problem Solving sessions.

SECOND NOTE:

Example of two pictures side-by-side, used in the Applied Geometry Handout;

moreover, these pictures were inside another folder

(inside the main folder that contains the TeX document itself),

which I called "pictures"); this is convenient when you have lots of pictures:

% TWO PICTURES, SIDE BY SIDE:

%________________________________________________________________

% \midinsert

% \vglue 2.0truein

\hbox{

\vbox{\hglue -.3truein{\includegraphics[height=60mm] {pictures/incenter2}}}

\hglue .3in

\raise -5pt\vbox{\hglue -3.8truein{\includegraphics[height=60mm] {pictures/incenter3}}}

}

\centerline{\sc Figure 1 \hglue 2truein Figure 2}

\smallskip

% \endinsert

%________________________________________________________________

________________________________

Am Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:12:56 +0200 schrieb James Ridley:

> My old commands don't work. Please can someone tell me what format the
> figures must be in and what command I must use to import them.

You should at first show an small, complete example and tell us what
is means that your command "don't work".

You can use example-image.eps for the example -- it is part of
miktex.

Re: input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
Dear Ulrike,
What I meant was that no image is inserted, and I get a blank space.
I attach a TeX file and a pdf image (because I work in pdfTeX), which are in
the same directory on my computer.
With Method 2 there is no error message in the log file, so no indication
why no image was inserted. (On the other hand, if I try Method 2 with an eps
file, it says "Non-pdf special ignored", so the \special command is being
read.)
With Method 1, things go wrong right at the beginning: the program cannot
input miniltx. When I accept the offer to search the internet, it goes to a
site at Stellenbosch University (sun.ac.za) and then returns a "404 File not
found" message. Perhaps you can suggest another URL that might work better.
Many thanks
James

Am Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:12:56 +0200 schrieb James Ridley:

> My old commands don't work. Please can someone tell me what format the
> figures must be in and what command I must use to import them.

You should at first show an small, complete example and tell us what
is means that your command "don't work".

You can use example-image.eps for the example -- it is part of
miktex.

Re: input graphics in amstex

George N. White III
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:00 AM, James Ridley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Ulrike,
> What I meant was that no image is inserted, and I get a blank space.
> I attach a TeX file and a pdf image (because I work in pdfTeX), which are
> in
> the same directory on my computer.
> With Method 2 there is no error message in the log file, so no indication
> why no image was inserted. (On the other hand, if I try Method 2 with an
> eps
> file, it says "Non-pdf special ignored", so the \special command is being
> read.)

With Method 1, things go wrong right at the beginning: the program cannot
> input miniltx. When I accept the offer to search the internet, it goes to a
> site at Stellenbosch University (sun.ac.za) and then returns a "404 File
> not
> found" message. Perhaps you can suggest another URL that might work better.
> Many thanks
> James

Are you overlooking the vastly improved tools to obtain packages?

"miniltx.tex" comes from a MiKTeX package.  Use the file search filter
in the "MiKTeX Package Manager" to find the package (graphics-pln).
Similarly, you can find example-image in the "mwe" package.

Here is a MWE that works using MiKTeX-2.9 (64-bit):

1. copy "example-image.eps" from the MiKTeX directory to a working directory

2. run "epstopdf example-image.eps" This should produce "example-image.pdf"

3.  create a test file:

   1. \input graphicx.tex
   2. \includegraphics{example-image.eps}
   3. \end

Using pdftex, this fails for me with:

! Undefined control sequence.

<argument> \ttfamily

\expandafter \strip@prefix \meaning \@tempa

\rlap #1->\hbox to\z@ {#1

\hss }

\Gin@setfile ...r \strip@prefix \meaning \@tempa }

\vss \hrule }\hss \vrule }...

\Ginclude@graphics ...sname {\Gin@base \Gin@ext }}

\fi \endgroup

\Gin@ii ...eys {Gin}{#1}\Gin@esetsize \the \toks@

\endgroup \fi

l.2 \includegraphics{example-image.eps}

Edit line 2 of the test file to change .eps to .pdf and you should get
a pdf document with the image.

Am Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:00:10 +0200 schrieb James Ridley:

> Dear Ulrike,
> What I meant was that no image is inserted, and I get a blank space.
> I attach a TeX file and a pdf image (because I work in pdfTeX), which are in
> the same directory on my computer.
> With Method 2 there is no error message in the log file, so no indication
> why no image was inserted. (On the other hand, if I try Method 2 with an eps
> file, it says "Non-pdf special ignored", so the \special command is being
> read.)
> With Method 1, things go wrong right at the beginning: the program cannot
> input miniltx. When I accept the offer to search the internet, it goes to a
> site at Stellenbosch University (sun.ac.za) and then returns a "404 File not
> found" message. Perhaps you can suggest another URL that might work better.

Well if you want to use pdftex (with pdf output) then you shouldn't
use specials meant for dvi-output and a dvi-driver.

Also be aware that % at the end of the line can also do harm if you
hide the space that ends a file name.
This here works for me in a current miktex and includes a pdf

\pdfoutput=1 %force pdf output
\input amstex
\input miniltx
\input graphicx.sty

\documentstyle{amsppt}

\includegraphics[scale=0.5]{example-image}

\flushpar Why no picture?

\bye

Re: input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
Dear Ulrike,
Thank you for your reply and the information, which doesn't seem to be
available very easily.
I shall need to spend time trying out all the suggestions,
Best wishes
James

Am Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:00:10 +0200 schrieb James Ridley:

> Dear Ulrike,
> What I meant was that no image is inserted, and I get a blank space.
> I attach a TeX file and a pdf image (because I work in pdfTeX), which are
in
> the same directory on my computer.
> With Method 2 there is no error message in the log file, so no indication
> why no image was inserted. (On the other hand, if I try Method 2 with an
eps
> file, it says "Non-pdf special ignored", so the \special command is being
> read.)
> With Method 1, things go wrong right at the beginning: the program cannot
> input miniltx. When I accept the offer to search the internet, it goes to
> site at Stellenbosch University (sun.ac.za) and then returns a "404 File
not
> found" message. Perhaps you can suggest another URL that might work
better.

Well if you want to use pdftex (with pdf output) then you shouldn't
use specials meant for dvi-output and a dvi-driver.

Also be aware that % at the end of the line can also do harm if you
hide the space that ends a file name.
This here works for me in a current miktex and includes a pdf

\pdfoutput=1 %force pdf output
\input amstex
\input miniltx
\input graphicx.sty

\documentstyle{amsppt}

\includegraphics[scale=0.5]{example-image}

\flushpar Why no picture?

\bye

Re: input graphics in amstex

James Ridley
Thanks, George, my poor head is spinning now, but I'll try out all the
suggestions when I recover :)