Quantcast

epstopdf

Alan G Isaac
Well I am slowly understanding more of the issues
around dvipdfm and epstopdf.  I'll report for those who
might profit from a report or better yet correct/improve it.
1. Why MiKTeX does not use epstopdf for dvipdfm: it looks
   like this is impossible.  If I understand correctly,
   dvipdfm looks at the EPS file NOT the PDF file to
   determine a bounding box.  But of course the whole point
   of epstopdf is to produce a PDF where the relevant
   bounding box is *different* than in the EPS!
2. The relationship between epstopdf and pdfwrite: epstopdf
   uses Ghostscript's pdfwrite.  (It follows that the
   problems I fixed by moving to epstopdf---the text in my
   graphics was not appearing---has a different source than
   pdfwrite.)
3. The page size and bounding box issues: some applications
   produce EPS files where bounding boxes are not within
   ordinary page boundaries.  This potentially creates
   a serious problem for dvipdfm.  If I use epstopdf to move
   the bounding box, then dvipdfm will not find the graphic.
   I.e., when it comes to dvipdfm, epstopdf cannot address
   the problem it was designed to address.  If I do not do
   this---if I just use the default pdfwrite setup---then
   only parts of the graphic inside the (very reasonable)
   default A0 page boundary will be shown.  At the moment,
   I am encountering this only in an application that has
   a negative value in the bounding box, and I have learned
   of a way to force positive values.

fwiw,
Alan Isaac

Re: epstopdf

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Alan G Isaac <[hidden email]> [2005-09-15]:
> Well I am slowly understanding more of the issues
> around dvipdfm and epstopdf.  I'll report for those who
> might profit from a report or better yet correct/improve it.
> 1. Why MiKTeX does not use epstopdf for dvipdfm: it looks
>    like this is impossible.  If I understand correctly,
>    dvipdfm looks at the EPS file NOT the PDF file to
>    determine a bounding box.  But of course the whole point
>    of epstopdf is to produce a PDF where the relevant
>    bounding box is *different* than in the EPS!
[cut]

No, I think you have gotten this wrong. From the epstopdf perl script
at CTAN:

# A script to transform an EPS file so that:
#   a) it is guarenteed to start at the 0,0 coordinate
#   b) it sets a page size exactly corresponding to the BoundingBox
# This means that when Ghostscript renders it, the result needs no
# cropping, and the PDF MediaBox is correct.
#   c) the result is piped to Ghostscript and a PDF version written

As I understand it (and have used epstopdf) it respects the
boundingbox and ignores any paper size settings (as these aren't valid
for EPS anyway).

Hans

ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/support/epstopdf/epstopdf_perl

Re: epstopdf

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Hans F. Nordhaug <[hidden email]> [2005-09-15]:

> * Alan G Isaac <[hidden email]> [2005-09-15]:
> > Well I am slowly understanding more of the issues
> > around dvipdfm and epstopdf.  I'll report for those who
> > might profit from a report or better yet correct/improve it.
> > 1. Why MiKTeX does not use epstopdf for dvipdfm: it looks
> >    like this is impossible.  If I understand correctly,
> >    dvipdfm looks at the EPS file NOT the PDF file to
> >    determine a bounding box.  But of course the whole point
> >    of epstopdf is to produce a PDF where the relevant
> >    bounding box is *different* than in the EPS!
> [cut]
>
> No, I think you have gotten this wrong. From the epstopdf perl script
> at CTAN:
>
> # A script to transform an EPS file so that:
> #   a) it is guarenteed to start at the 0,0 coordinate
> #   b) it sets a page size exactly corresponding to the BoundingBox
> # This means that when Ghostscript renders it, the result needs no
> # cropping, and the PDF MediaBox is correct.
> #   c) the result is piped to Ghostscript and a PDF version written
>
> As I understand it (and have used epstopdf) it respects the
> boundingbox and ignores any paper size settings (as these aren't valid
> for EPS anyway).
>
> Hans
>
> ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/support/epstopdf/epstopdf_perl

A comment to my own comment:

OK, epstopdf will make the bounding box different since it's
translated to the 0,0 coordinate, but the point of epstopdf is not to
make it different but to keep the *size* of the bounding box (which is
what normally matters). In the case of dvipdfm, I agree with your
argument that you can not use epstopdf since dvipdfm seems to care
about the size *and* position.

Regards,
Hans

Re[2]: epstopdf

Alan G Isaac
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, "Hans F. Nordhaug" apparently wrote:
> epstopdf will make the bounding box different since it's
> translated to the 0,0 coordinate

Right.

> but the point of epstopdf is not to make it different but
> to keep the size of the bounding box (which is what
> normally matters).

Yes.
The epstopdf strategy is to produce a PDF with a *page size*
(MediaBox) that matches the bounding box of the EPS file. In
fact, epstopdf does not provide a bounding box (ArtBox),
which should be considered a bug.  (Fixing it, however, will
not I am guessing fix my problem.)

> In the case of dvipdfm, I agree with your argument that
> you can not use epstopdf since dvipdfm seems to care about
> the size and position.

Someone suggested that dvipdfm is getting using the bounding
box provided by the EPS file, *not* any relevant information
(which should be ArtBox but should "fall back" to MediaBox
if ArtBox is not provided) in the PDF after conversion.  The
behavior I am seeing makes this plausible to me.

In sum, I think we have two bugs here:
- epstopdf does not provide a bounding box (ArtBox).
  Perhaps this should be considered a pdfwrite bug, I am not
  sure.
- dvipdfm does not look for bounding box information in the
  PDF produced by its converters
If both of these were fixed, each tool would become much
more robust.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

Re[2]: epstopdf

Hartmut Henkel
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Alan G Isaac wrote:

> - dvipdfm does not look for bounding box information in the
>   PDF produced by its converters

isn't Mark Wicks' program "ebb", coming with dvipdfm, designed to do
this?

Regards, Hartmut

Re[3]: epstopdf

Alan G Isaac

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, T) Hartmut Henkel apparently wrote:
> isn't Mark Wicks' program "ebb", coming with dvipdfm, designed to do
> this?

No:
ebb works on existing PDFs,
not with dvipdfm's on-the-fly conversion.

IMO, with ArtBox (i.e., bounding box) being part of the PDF
spec, there is just no excuse not to look at the PDF.  This
must be considered a bug.  I have filed it as such.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac