clean install

John Baldwin
I sent a message on July 4, explaining with a long log my problems with
updating after installing the miktex basic package on my new laptop with
win10.

Surprisingly for this list there has been no reponse in 6 days --even to
ask for more information. Was the message posted?  I didn't get a copy

I think it would be wise to do a `clean install'. But I am not sure what
that entails. In addition to have microsoft uninstall the program, it seems
I should remove folders that have been created. There seem to be others
beyond windows/miktek2.9.

Can someone advise me on the wisdom and method of this approach.

John

John T. Baldwin
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics, Statistics,
and Computer Science M/C 249
[hidden email]
851 S. Morgan
Chicago IL
60607

Re: clean install

Aradenatorix Veckhôm Awecaelus
Hi John:

Sorry for don't reply you before. A clean re installation is a good
idea in my opinion, in that sense, I think cleaning the registry with
a tool like ccleaner would be convenient.

If you have nothing to loose, I mean, a custom configuration,
packages, fonts, etc. you could loose after erase manually the folders
you mentioned above, you can do it also.

Later try to reinstall MikTeX.

If I didn't respond before is because I have not used either Windows
10 or MikTeX for a couple of years, I had problems with MikTeX shortly
before the release of Windows 10 and I know that Christian had
problems with certain packages and that MikTeX was bug infested those
days. I didn't have the patience nor the time to wait for things to
normalize with MikTeX so I ran away to gnu/linux and with TeXlive I
had no problem whatsoever.

Therefore, my solution to your problem would have been a "stop
suffering and move to TeXlive" something quite rude and completely out
of place, so I decided to wait for someone to give you a better
solution, but it was not.

I don't want to demerit the work of all the people behind MikTeX, it
has always seemed an excellent option for Windows users, but now I
have no equipment to test it, nor even with a virtual machine. So that
I'm not much help.

So, in a nutshell, back up the custom configuration files you have,
your packages and custom classes before deleting the MikTeX folders on
your machine. Then install the ccleaner and run the clean registry
tool (do not forget to make a backup in your documents before
confirming such cleaning). Once you have cleaned the registry, proceed
to reinstall MikTeX on your computer just like you use to do it.

Good luck.

Re: clean install

Oliver Kopp

I personally use the instructions at