YAP stop working after MikTex update

Mario Goncalves
I spend some weeks searching for potential answers for a similar problem
without success. Meanwhile I posted this message in the TeX users group and
was advised to send as a bug report. This happened after one of many MikTex
updates I made but it is unclear to me the source of the problem. My
yap.exe file has the date of 29 Oct'16, so this might give you some useful
clue. I usually compile my documents to pdf and so I only use dvi and yap
to do tests and quick debugging. In one such ocasion while opening the dvi
with yap an error window open with the message "MiKTeX encountered an
internal error." The report info is the following:

MiKTeX Problem Report
Message: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
Source: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\Session\mfmodes.cpp
Line: 50
MiKTeX: 2.9
OS: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, Service Pack 1, build 7601
Invokers: non-existing/explorer/TeXnicCenter
SystemAdmin: yes
PowerUser: no
Root0: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
Root1: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
Root2: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
Root3: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
UserInstall: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserConfig: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserData: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonInstall: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
CommonConfig: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonData: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9

The problem is the same regardless if I compile a document within
TeXnicCenter or just try to open a dvi file directly from a directory or
even if I just double-click on yap.exe. I guess there is no problem in
compiling to a dvi document, just opening it.

Many thanks for your support

Mário

Re: YAP stop working after MikTex update

George N. White III
On 18 December 2016 at 18:11, Mario Goncalves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I spend some weeks searching for potential answers for a similar problem
> without success. Meanwhile I posted this message in the TeX users group and
> was advised to send as a bug report. This happened after one of many MikTex
> updates I made but it is unclear to me the source of the problem. My
> yap.exe file has the date of 29 Oct'16, so this might give you some useful
> clue. I usually compile my documents to pdf and so I only use dvi and yap
> to do tests and quick debugging. In one such ocasion while opening the dvi
> with yap an error window open with the message "MiKTeX encountered an
> internal error." The report info is the following:
>
> MiKTeX Problem Report
> Message: MiKTeX encountered an internal error.
> Source: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\Session\mfmodes.cpp
> Line: 50
> MiKTeX: 2.9
> OS: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, Service Pack 1, build 7601
> Invokers: non-existing/explorer/TeXnicCenter
> SystemAdmin: yes
> PowerUser: no
> Root0: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
> Root1: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
> Root2: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
> Root3: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
> UserInstall: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
> UserConfig: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
> UserData: C:\Users\Myaccount\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
> CommonInstall: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
> CommonConfig: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
> CommonData: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
>
> The problem is the same regardless if I compile a document within
> TeXnicCenter or just try to open a dvi file directly from a directory or
> even if I just double-click on yap.exe. I guess there is no problem in
> compiling to a dvi document, just opening it.
>
> Many thanks for your support
>
> Mário

In a previous post, I posted instructions on finding the cause of "internal
error" from yap.
In that example, the case was a missing modes.mf file.  Check the list
archives for Nov.
9th, subject "yap error"

--
George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Re: YAP stop working after MikTex update

Mario Goncalves
Thanks. It's really the same error. I cheked my package manager and the
metafont package was not installed and once I put it back yap worked fine.