Quantcast

Update procedure as of mid-December

David J. Perry
I have held off updating my MikTex installation since reading about the
issues with the November update, but I would like to do so now.

The page https://miktex.org/alert/package-refactoring-2016-11 opens but
is blank.

So what is the current status?  Can I run the updater now and it will
take care of things correctly?  Do I still need to make some manual
adjustments?  If so, where can I get the information?

Thank you - David

Re: Update procedure as of mid-December

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:48:33 -0500 schrieb David J. Perry:

> I have held off updating my MikTex installation since reading about the
> issues with the November update, but I would like to do so now.
>
> The page https://miktex.org/alert/package-refactoring-2016-11 opens but
> is blank.
>
> So what is the current status?  Can I run the updater now and it will
> take care of things correctly?  Do I still need to make some manual
> adjustments?  If so, where can I get the information?

It probably depends on your installation. It is always possible that
some package that you need is missing after the update. You could
make a backup of your installation tree etc. if you are worried.

Re: Update procedure as of mid-December

Prof. Alceu Frigeri
I just went through an update 'inferno' :(
Since early November, I was trying now and then to update (and always
getting a SSL error message).
I had asked to some advice here, but nope.

Today, unfortunately, 'It did work', better said, it finally connected to an
'up to date server', uninstalled all those miktex-* deprecated packages.
Updated a few more. And, after that, everything, everything stopped working.

The 'latex compiler' was 'still working' but most of packages were broke.
The Admin tools (setting, package manager, update) won't even restart after
the update (windows were complaining about the binary, and configuration).
I even tried to uninstall it (control panel) and it refuses to...

So, now I'm just contemplating the idea of deleting the miktex folder, and
start looking for something that work.

Alceu Heinke Frigeri
Ramal 4290 (3561)
DELAE – Automação e Controle
Escola de Engenharia
UFRGS

Re: Update procedure as of mid-December

Mark Yagnatinsky
idea: try downloading a fresh installer.  when it complains that you
already have miktex, tell it to proceed anyway.  sounds dangerous, but it
looks like your setup is already broken so it hopefully doesn't make
anything worse.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Prof. Alceu Frigeri <[hidden email]