Quantcast

Sorry another Beamer question

12

Sorry another Beamer question

Taylor, Robert
Hi all,

Thanks for the help about my previous question which came down to incompatibility issues between beamer and graphics (graphicx) which a one-line fix of code at the start of the document can solve (for anyone with the same problem the line to insert at the start of the latex file is   \makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother
and thanks very much to Paul Thompson for passing this fix along to me)

Emboldened, I thought I'd try out a file with PDF graphs called in it.  Needless to say, it did not go well!  The following call within the latex file

\includegraphics[
natheight=10.6913in, natwidth=14.0472in, height=1.2035in, width=1.5733in]
{C:/Users/rtaylor/Dropbox/tex/graphics/1a__1.pdf}

Led to the following error

....  [17] [18] [19] [20] <use C:/Users/rtaylor/Dropbox/tex/graphics/1a__1.pdf>
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> ...@base \Gin@ext  image\GPT@AttrShort
                                                  \ifx \GPT@print \ltx@empty...
l.758 \end{frame}
                 %
?

Hit return and it compiles but with the graph simply missing from the output.  The same latex file compiles fine (with the graphs included) on other well-known tex platforms such as scientific word and tex writer, so is this another conflict between beamer and graphics?

Many thanks.

Best wishes, Rob Taylor

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Taylor, Robert
Sorry, the problem yesterday was a conflict between geometry and beamer, not graphics and beamer ... so probably unrelated to today's problem ....

I think I solved this myself amazingly enough (!), by finding this on the web:

"With natwidth and natheight you are trying to specify a bounding box which is not supported by the pdftex driver:
the driver pdftex.def does not support the manual specification of the bounding box, because it is not needed. If the user wants to have a portion of the image, there are options viewport and trim to specify this wish in a cleaner way. Option bb is treated as viewport with a warning."

In case this helps anyone else.

Cheers, Rob

Thompson,Paul-2
Now, there you go. You have figgered out how to hack. That's the issue - it's not how to do things when they work correctly (The LaTeX Companion covers much of this, but does not include my class in its coverage), but how to solve problems.

I think I solved this myself amazingly enough (!), by finding this on the web:

"With natwidth and natheight you are trying to specify a bounding box which is not supported by the pdftex driver:
the driver pdftex.def does not support the manual specification of the bounding box, because it is not needed. If the user wants to have a portion of the image, there are options viewport and trim to specify this wish in a cleaner way. Option bb is treated as viewport with a warning."

In case this helps anyone else.

Cheers, Rob

privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Joseph Wright
On 21/09/2016 12:58, Taylor, Robert wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the help about my previous question which came down to incompatibility issues between beamer and graphics (graphicx) which a one-line fix of code at the start of the document can solve (for anyone with the same problem the line to insert at the start of the latex file is   \makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother
> and thanks very much to Paul Thompson for passing this fix along to me)
>
> Emboldened, I thought I'd try out a file with PDF graphs called in it.  Needless to say, it did not go well!  The following call within the latex file
>
> \includegraphics[
> natheight=10.6913in, natwidth=14.0472in, height=1.2035in, width=1.5733in]
> {C:/Users/rtaylor/Dropbox/tex/graphics/1a__1.pdf}
>
> Led to the following error
>
> ....  [17] [18] [19] [20] <use C:/Users/rtaylor/Dropbox/tex/graphics/1a__1.pdf>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> ...@base \Gin@ext  image\GPT@AttrShort
>                                                   \ifx \GPT@print \ltx@empty...
> l.758 \end{frame}
>                  %
> ?
>
> Hit return and it compiles but with the graph simply missing from the output.  The same latex file compiles fine (with the graphs included) on other well-known tex platforms such as scientific word and tex writer, so is this another conflict between beamer and graphics?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Best wishes, Rob Taylor

Please send a full example: beamer works fine in general with graphicx
(as you'd expect, I guess, for a class for making visual presentation
material!).

Joseph

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 11:58:37 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:

> Thanks for the help about my previous question which came down to
> incompatibility issues between beamer and graphics (graphicx)
> which a one-line fix of code at the start of the document can
> solve (for anyone with the same problem the line to insert at the
> start of the latex file is   \makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother

Sorry but this is a hack and not a solution. If you want to use it
fine, but you shouldn't spread it around. So correct way to solve
the problem is to make a minimal example and to show its log-file so
that one can analyze what is wrong with your system.

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 12:26:24 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:

> I think I solved this myself amazingly enough (!), by finding this on the web:

> "With natwidth and natheight you are trying to specify a bounding
> box which is not supported by the pdftex driver: the driver
> pdftex.def does not support the manual specification of the
> bounding box, because it is not needed. If the user wants to have
> a portion of the image, there are options viewport and trim to
> specify this wish in a cleaner way. Option bb is treated as
> viewport with a warning."

While viewport is the correct option, natwidth/natheight imho
shouldn't give an error but like bb issue only a warning.

I reported the problem to the LaTeX team and I think David will add
some code to avoid the error soon.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Thompson,Paul-2
Ulrike:

I copied that hack from an email with your name on it.

Paul A. Thompson

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 11:58:37 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:

> Thanks for the help about my previous question which came down to
> incompatibility issues between beamer and graphics (graphicx) which a
> one-line fix of code at the start of the document can solve (for
> anyone with the same problem the line to insert at the
> start of the latex file is   \makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother

Sorry but this is a hack and not a solution. If you want to use it fine, but you shouldn't spread it around. So correct way to solve the problem is to make a minimal example and to show its log-file so that one can analyze what is wrong with your system.

privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:12:24 +0000 schrieb Thompson,Paul:

> >> Thanks for the help about my previous question which came down to
> >> incompatibility issues between beamer and graphics (graphicx) which a
> >> one-line fix of code at the start of the document can solve (for
> >> anyone with the same problem the line to insert at the
> >> start of the latex file is   \makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother

> > Sorry but this is a hack and not a solution.

> I copied that hack from an email with your name on it.

That was from 2010. And the context was:

=========================
Update beamer. Or put

\makeatletter\let\ifGm@compatii\relax\makeatother

before \documentclass.
=========================

So it should be clear that with a current beamer it should no longer
be necessary. Such measures are sometimes needed for a short time
until some update has reached the user. But after 6 years you should
move them to the bin.

Actually you should never rely on such old code without have checked
quite carefully if the context for which the code was written is
still valid.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Taylor, Robert
That hack works unlike the files downloaded by the basic miktex installer which I also updated as you are meant to .... That suggests the hack is still needed for exactly the reason it was needed before.

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 17:18, Thompson,Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ulrike:
>
> I copied that hack from an email with your name on it.
>
> Paul A. Thompson

All very evangelical but the updated and latest Beamer files are exactly what was causing the problem ....

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:31:14 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:

> All very evangelical

Well as the code you are using is from me you should expect that I
know what it is about and that I have every right to claim that it
is not a good idea to use it today.

> but the updated and latest Beamer files are exactly what was
> causing the problem ....

I do have a miktex updated today and this here works fine:

\documentclass{beamer}
\usetheme{CambridgeUS}

\begin{document}
\begin{frame}{abc}
blub
\end{frame}
\end{document}

A remark to a comment you sent me privatly:

> Of course I would rather something functioned properly than use a
> hack but the hack has worked and for someone whose aim is to
> produce some slides to present at a conference that matters WAY
> more than the evangelical beauty of a properly functioning latex
> system!!

As I already wrote: what you are doing in your own code is up to
you. But when you start to spread around wrong code and claim this
code is a solution you are misleading other people and I think this
is unfair to them.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Thompson,Paul-2
There are a number of situations in which we need to fix our code:

1) I am preparing a presentation for Oct 31. There is a problem. I submit a bug report. It takes 10 days to fix the problem. I finish and present my report.

All is good. You have time. No hacks are needed.

2) I am preparing a presentation for Oct 31. There is a problem. I submit a bug report. It takes 10 days to fix the problem. I finish and present my report.

You don't have time to wait. You look for a hack, and hope to finish. In addition, how are you to look at interim results?

3) am preparing a presentation for Sept 22. There is a problem. The presentation worked until the last update of bemer.

You don't have time to wait. You look for a hack, and hope to finish.

>From your perspective, Ulrike, I think that you should ENCOURAGE hacks, not discourage them. LaTeX, under MikTeX, whatever, is an open-source tool. People should be able to fix minor issues. Like earlier today someone noted a file was missing. I googled, found the file, could have placed it correctly and gone on.

Don't dump on people for being resourceful. It's good to have permanent fixes. It's also good and important for things to work in the moment, until the permanent fix is made.

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:31:14 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:

> All very evangelical

Well as the code you are using is from me you should expect that I know what it is about and that I have every right to claim that it is not a good idea to use it today.

> but the updated and latest Beamer files are exactly what was causing
> the problem ....

I do have a miktex updated today and this here works fine:

\documentclass{beamer}
\usetheme{CambridgeUS}

\begin{document}
\begin{frame}{abc}
blub
\end{frame}
\end{document}

A remark to a comment you sent me privatly:

> Of course I would rather something functioned properly than use a hack
> but the hack has worked and for someone whose aim is to produce some
> slides to present at a conference that matters WAY more than the
> evangelical beauty of a properly functioning latex system!!

As I already wrote: what you are doing in your own code is up to you. But when you start to spread around wrong code and claim this code is a solution you are misleading other people and I think this is unfair to them.

privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

AlanIsaac
On 9/21/2016 3:27 PM, Thompson,Paul wrote:
> Don't dump on people for being resourceful.

I have never seen Ulrike "dump" on anyone.
Unimpeachable patience; endless helpfulness ...
these I have seen.

fwiw,
Alan

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Thompson,Paul-2
OK, withdraw "dump" replace with "thoughtful explanation"

On 9/21/2016 3:27 PM, Thompson,Paul wrote:
> Don't dump on people for being resourceful.

I have never seen Ulrike "dump" on anyone.
Unimpeachable patience; endless helpfulness ...
these I have seen.

fwiw,
Alan

privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Siep Kroonenberg
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 08:18:23PM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:31:14 +0000 schrieb Taylor, Robert:
>
> > All very evangelical
>
> Well as the code you are using is from me you should expect that I
> know what it is about and that I have every right to claim that it
> is not a good idea to use it today.
>
> > but the updated and latest Beamer files are exactly what was
> > causing the problem ....
>
> I do have a miktex updated today and this here works fine:
>
> \documentclass{beamer}
> \usetheme{CambridgeUS}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{frame}{abc}
> blub
> \end{frame}
> \end{document}

Please check the logfile exactly which files are being read. Maybe
latex reads some outdated version of a file which does not come from
the current MiKTeX.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Thompson,Paul-2

> I do have a miktex updated today and this here works fine:
>
> \documentclass{beamer}
> \usetheme{CambridgeUS}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{frame}{abc}
> blub
> \end{frame}
> \end{document}

Please check the logfile exactly which files are being read. Maybe latex reads some outdated version of a file which does not come from the current MiKTeX.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

-----------------------------------

Thanks for that reminder. This is again an important tip that inexperienced users do not know about. They think that MikTeX knows which file to pick.

 Of course, it usually does. But that can be bunged up in a number of ways, and looking for duplicate files is a key step in some difficult cases. I know that I have that problem, in that I tend to stash outdated versions of stuff on the local tree.

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:34:06 -0400 schrieb Alan Isaac:

>> Don't dump on people for being resourceful.
>

> I have never seen Ulrike "dump" on anyone.
> Unimpeachable patience; endless helpfulness

Then you haven't seen much of me ;-)

I sometimes have quite clear views and try to get them around.

And in this case I think it is very important not to confuse
work-arounds and hacks with real solutions.

I don't have any problems with peoples with some time pressure using
a hack -- I'm doing is sometimes too. But it is dangerous to think
of such a work-around as a solution as it means that you won't
tackle the real problem. The problem my code from 2010 tried to
solve should be gone long ago and if Robert (or someone else) still
have it something is wrong with their texsystem.

Re: Sorry another Beamer question

Taylor, Robert
A tex system I installed yesterday using the basic installer on the CTAN site and updated everything as you are meant to .....

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:32:58 +0200 schrieb Siep Kroonenberg:

> Please check the logfile exactly which files are being read. Maybe
> latex reads some outdated version of a file which does not come from
> the current MiKTeX.

Robert sent me the log-file offline and what you (and me too -- I
know why I asked for the log-file ...) suspected is true:

He has some files from an outdated beamer version from 2007 in the
document folder.

12