SSL Connection error

Opubo G Benebo
I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download

all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system

using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?

---

Re: SSL Connection error

Jerry
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500, Opubo G Benebo stated:

>I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>
>all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>
>using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
>does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?

Can you supply some information as to the type of system you are
running; ie. OS and type, are you behind a proxy, etcetera? I assume
you are actually running a 32 bit system.

--
Jerry

Re: SSL Connection error

Am Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500 schrieb Opubo G Benebo:

> I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>
> all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>
> using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
> does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?

See https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/348855/2388

Re: SSL Connection error

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
Hi,

Regarding the solution given in the stackexchange link, setting an appropriate environment variable, may I as a non-technical user (still using Windows XP) ask how this is done?

To which file do I have to add this line?

Thanks,

Rob van Gent

Am Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500 schrieb Opubo G Benebo:

> I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>
> all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>
> using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
> does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?

See https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/348855/2388

Re: SSL Connection error

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:00:54 +0000 schrieb Gent, R.H. van (Rob):

> Regarding the solution given in the stackexchange link, setting an appropriate environment variable, may I as a non-technical user (still using Windows XP) ask how this is done?

Well as non-technical user you should better get a newer system. In
case of problems not many people will be able to help you with xp.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310519/how-to-manage-environment-variables-in-windows-xp

Re: SSL Connection error

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
Thanks, this is very helpful.

 Rob van Gent

Am Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:00:54 +0000 schrieb Gent, R.H. van (Rob):

> Regarding the solution given in the stackexchange link, setting an appropriate environment variable, may I as a non-technical user (still using Windows XP) ask how this is done?

Well as non-technical user you should better get a newer system. In case of problems not many people will be able to help you with xp.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310519/how-to-manage-environment-variables-in-windows-xp

Re: SSL Connection error

David Allsopp
System Applet in Control Panel -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables button. Can't remember if XP gives you a choice between User or System, but User would be sufficient.

That said, I wholeheartedly second Ulrike's sentiment! You'll see from the recent archives of this list that there are more people using XP apparently not expert enough to do so on their own than experts who care about a 15 year old OS that's been deprecated for years. If cost is an issue, switch to Ubuntu, Fedora, or another (free) Linux distro of your choice.

Re: SSL Connection error

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
Dear David,

I appreciate your help but I was already successful, thanks to the help of Ulrike Fischer (and off-list from Peter Zimmermann), in getting the MIKTEX updates working again.

Why I still use a Windows XP computer?

I also use Windows 7 computer in my office but it will not run certain programs which I also like to use.

For certain programs I will use the Windows 7 computer, for others I depend on my Windows XP laptop.

Thanks again, best,

Rob van Gent

Gent, R.H. van (Rob) wrote:
> I appreciate your help but I was already successful, thanks to the help of
> Ulrike Fischer (and off-list from Peter Zimmermann), in getting the MIKTEX
> updates working again.

Ah, my mistake - I read too quickly the link Ulrike posted and somehow decided it was the Windows XP retirement URL, not the environment variables reference!

> Why I still use a Windows XP computer?
>
> I also use Windows 7 computer in my office but it will not run certain
> programs which I also like to use.
>
> For certain programs I will use the Windows 7 computer, for others I
> depend on my Windows XP laptop.

Virtualisation is your friend - www.virtualbox.org and in particular https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows (I have done this with several Windows XP machines which now exist solely as virtual machines, even if only for archive). Then you can run a modern OS and literally use ancient OSes solely for programs which must run on them. With suitable use of local virtual network cards, you can even trivially access the files of each from machine from the other too.

It's a one-time piece of faff which eliminates trying to install new software on the older machines - support is only going to get worse.

David

Re: SSL Connection error

Gent, R.H. van (Rob)
David Allsopp wrote:

> Virtualisation is your friend ...

Thanks for the links, I will try them.

Even at 63 years, I am willing to learn new tricks.

Rob

Re: SSL Connection error

Thompson,Paul-2
Support? I thought that MS officially discontinued all support for XP about a year ago.

I have Win 10 on all my machines. I really think it's a solid OS.

> I appreciate your help but I was already successful, thanks to the
> help of Ulrike Fischer (and off-list from Peter Zimmermann), in
> getting the MIKTEX updates working again.

Ah, my mistake - I read too quickly the link Ulrike posted and somehow decided it was the Windows XP retirement URL, not the environment variables reference!

> Why I still use a Windows XP computer?
>
> I also use Windows 7 computer in my office but it will not run certain
> programs which I also like to use.
>
> For certain programs I will use the Windows 7 computer, for others I
> depend on my Windows XP laptop.

Virtualisation is your friend - www.virtualbox.org and in particular https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows (I have done this with several Windows XP machines which now exist solely as virtual machines, even if only for archive). Then you can run a modern OS and literally use ancient OSes solely for programs which must run on them. With suitable use of local virtual network cards, you can even trivially access the files of each from machine from the other too.

It's a one-time piece of faff which eliminates trying to install new software on the older machines - support is only going to get worse.

David

privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: SSL Connection error

Opubo G Benebo
Hello Jerry,

I am using XP but being a software developer before, I have some
understanding of the discussions. The problem though is that I am not
having problems with update, I had a MikTex software and when I
developed the update problem, and failed to resolved I then decided to
completely wipe my machine clean as to make a clean install, except that
even after that I could only download the MikTex Net Installer which
would never download the full package a it should. For adopting the
suggestion of Ulrike, I could download and install the Miktex Basic
Installer to get the Update Manager (Admin) with which update the whole
setup.

Otherwise would it make sense to still just add to the environment
variables list and try to download the full MikTex package  with the Net
Installer? Does that work?

Best !

On 1/24/2017 6:24 AM, Jerry wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500, Opubo G Benebo stated:
>
>> I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>>
>> all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>>
>> using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
>> does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?
> Can you supply some information as to the type of system you are
> running; ie. OS and type, are you behind a proxy, etcetera? I assume
> you are actually running a 32 bit system.

---

Re: SSL Connection error

Opubo G Benebo
Hello Ulrike,

I have no active install of MikTex, so would it make sense to still just

On 1/24/2017 7:08 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500 schrieb Opubo G Benebo:
>
>> I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>>
>> all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>>
>> using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
>> does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?
>
> See https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/348855/2388

---

Re: SSL Connection error

Opubo G Benebo
Alright, thank you everybody. I simply added to the environment variable
as per the suggestion of Ulrike, and it is now connecting and
downloading again. again, Thank you.

Best.

On 1/24/2017 1:40 PM, Opubo G Benebo wrote:

> Hello Ulrike,
>
> I have no active install of MikTex, so would it make sense to still just
> add to the environment variables list and try to download the full
> MikTex package  with the Net Installer? Does that work?
>
> Best!
>

> On 1/24/2017 7:08 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Am Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:44:27 -0500 schrieb Opubo G Benebo:
>>
>>> I have been trying to connect to MikTex to download
>>>
>>> all packages and install a complete TeX/LaTeX system
>>>
>>> using the Net Installer 32 bit, and all I get is SSL Connection error,
>>> does anybody have any ideas as to why this is?
>> See https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/348855/2388
>>

> ---

---

Re: SSL Connection error

David Allsopp
I meant the support of MiKTeX (and others) for Windows XP rather than XP itself, which has indeed not been supported at all for a while.