Quantcast

Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

Till Fischer

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

Till Fischer
*bump*

Till Fischer schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> this is my first post to this list, and i suspect it to be redundant and
> already answered, but somehow I can't access the archives. Sourceforge
> tells me
>
>> Your mailing list, miktex-users, appears to be either not archived yet, or has had no e-mails sent to it. If it is a new list, please wait 2-4 hours after the first message is sent for the archive to show up.
>
> Now to the problem:
>
> I try to update miktex, but after downloading it always fails with the
> following error: "Error: Windows API error 87: The parameter is incorrect."
>
> The line before (from the log) reads: "extracting files from
> bidi.tar.lzma..."
>
> I hope you have a solution to this problem,
> kind regards,
> Till

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

Till Fischer
It solved itself. Somehow after waiting a week, it suddenly worked.
But this mailing list is really disappointing.

Till Fischer schrieb:

> *bump*
>
> Till Fischer schrieb:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> this is my first post to this list, and i suspect it to be redundant and
>> already answered, but somehow I can't access the archives. Sourceforge
>> tells me
>>
>>> Your mailing list, miktex-users, appears to be either not archived yet, or has had no e-mails sent to it. If it is a new list, please wait 2-4 hours after the first message is sent for the archive to show up.
>> Now to the problem:
>>
>> I try to update miktex, but after downloading it always fails with the
>> following error: "Error: Windows API error 87: The parameter is incorrect."
>>
>> The line before (from the log) reads: "extracting files from
>> bidi.tar.lzma..."
>>
>> I hope you have a solution to this problem,
>> kind regards,
>> Till

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

Marius555
Hello,
Just now I got the same error as you did while installing a new package with the Package Manager:
---
MiKTeX Problem Report
Message: Windows API error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

Data: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.8\miktex\config\1567d83d412396067c84a669e65114a0.fndb
---

While googling for a solution I found your post, without a solution :(, I know this answer won't help you but for the sake of future people googling for a solution to this problem:

It turns out the problem was, I had an instance of MikTex open which was blocking the files needed for the install. After I closed the MikTex instance the install worked fine.
Greetings,
Marius

Till Fischer wrote

SOLVED Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

thetruecloser

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

moha0157
I wanted to warmly thank you. It worked for me :)

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

WiWi
Hi all !

I had the same "Windows API error 87" error message.

Possible source for me : I had a crash with latex.exe a few hours before. As a consequence, I could not get rid of some temp files for instance.

Solution : I went into the Windows TaskManager and killed two tasks : MikTex (still running) and latex.exe (for me the real responsible for the error)

Immediately, the installation with MikTeX went well.

Hope this helps !

Re: Problem Updating (Windows API error 87)

Jo50
This post was updated on .
Hello,

@ updating and packages:

I had the same "Windows API error 87" when i tried to download and install a single package (gnuplottex)  for Miktek 2.9.  from different servers - allways with  "Windows API error 87" as the result.
( and I had no instance of MikTex open which  could have blocked)
Also an update produced the same errror at first.  At the third trial the update worked well, and now download and installation of the package too.

A miracle

Regards
Jo