Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

Víctor Barceló
Hello, I have a problem installing MikTex on Linux Mint 18. Following the
steps on the web, installing libraries etc, then y write on the console: *cmake
-G "Unix Makefile", *but the system sends back : *CMake Error: The source
directory "/home/victor" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.* ¿What
can i do to fix that?

Thanks beforehand!
Víctor

Re: Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

Aradenatorix Veckhôm Awecaelus
You shouldn't install MikTeX in another OS but Windows, it's a TeX
distribution made only for that OS. In Mint and other distros you have
another choice: TeXlive, you can install TeXlive 2016 from the CTAN or
from the reopositories of Mint, it's divided in diferent collections
as base, science, humanities, full, etc.

Deppending of your own needs you can use a small collection such as
base or maybe the whole distribution as texlive full.
Good luck

Re: Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

Christian Schenk
On 12/6/2016 2:03 PM, Víctor Barceló wrote:
> Hello, I have a problem installing MikTex on Linux Mint 18. Following the
> steps on the web, installing libraries etc, then y write on the console: *cmake
> -G "Unix Makefile", *but the system sends back : *CMake Error: The source
> directory "/home/victor" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.* ¿What
> can i do to fix that?

You must either be in the source directory (not recommended), or you
have to specify the path the source directory. For example:

    mkdir ~/miktex
    cd ~/miktex
    wget
https://miktex.org/download/ctan/systems/win32/miktex/source/miktex-2.9-2016-10-30.tar.xz
    tar -xvJf miktex-2.9-2016-10-30.tar.xz
    mkdir ~/miktex/build
    cd ~/miktex/build
    cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ../miktex-2.9-2016-10-30

Your source directory is ~/miktex/miktex-2.9-2016-10-30 and your
(out-of-source) build directory is ~/miktex/build.

Re: Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

David Allsopp
Víctor Barceló wrote:
> Hello, I have a problem installing MikTex on Linux Mint 18. Following the
> steps on the web, installing libraries etc, then y write on the console:
> *cmake -G "Unix Makefile", *but the system sends back : *CMake Error: The
> source directory "/home/victor" does not appear to contain
> CMakeLists.txt.* ¿What can i do to fix that?

It looks from the error messages like you've forgotten to change into the sources directory - you didn't really extract the MiKTeX sources to /home/victor did you?

Also, it's "Unix Makefiles" (with an 's' at the end).

David

This is not true: https://miktex.org/howto/build-unx

> In Mint and other distros you have
> another choice: TeXlive, you can install TeXlive 2016 from the CTAN or
> from the reopositories of Mint, it's divided in diferent collections as
> base, science, humanities, full, etc.

But there is a strong chance this may be what the OP actually wants, I agree!

David

Re: Problem Installing MikTex on linux mint 18

Aradenatorix Veckhôm Awecaelus
Thanks, I see I was wrong.