Portable edition: Hard dependency on c:\MiKTeX-Portable

Portable edition: Hard dependency on c:\MiKTeX-Portable

Oliver Kopp
Hey,

If I start "miktex-portable.cmd", a popup appears saying that
"C:\MiKTeX-Portable\texmfs\install\miktex\bin\miktex-taskbar-icon.exe"
could not be found. This is true as I insalled it to
"S:\MiKTeX-Portable"

Is it possible to have the recent portable edition running on a
different folder than C:\MiKTeX-Portable?

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: Portable edition: Hard dependency on c:\MiKTeX-Portable

Christopher Weedall
Hi Oliver,

You extracted it in the S:\MiKTeX-Portable folder, right?

Looks like the extraction process does not correctly automated the
miktex-portable.cmd file "knowing" which drive it's only currently.  C: is
hard coded.  (not really sure if this is a bug or not...)

Simple fix!  Open miktex-portable.cmd with Notepad, Wordpad, or your
favorite text editor.  There's only two lines in the file.  Change C: to S:
in your case.  Try running it again!

I just downloaded it and tried this process on my G: drive and it
successfully started running.

Best,
Chris

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Oliver Kopp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> If I start "miktex-portable.cmd", a popup appears saying that
> "C:\MiKTeX-Portable\texmfs\install\miktex\bin\miktex-taskbar-icon.exe"
> could not be found. This is true as I insalled it to
> "S:\MiKTeX-Portable"
>
> Is it possible to have the recent portable edition running on a
> different folder than C:\MiKTeX-Portable?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oliver

Re: Portable edition: Hard dependency on c:\MiKTeX-Portable

Oliver Kopp
Hey,

> Simple fix!  Open miktex-portable.cmd with Notepad, Wordpad, or your
> favorite text editor.  There's only two lines in the file.  Change C: to S:
> in your case.  Try running it again!

Yeah! And changing the line to "start
texmfs\install\miktex\bin\miktex-taskbar-icon.exe" makes it work in
arbitrary folders. I assume, it was like that in old portable versions
as I haven't had this issue beginning of 2016.

Cheers,

Oliver
https://blog.jabref.org