MikTeX does not open directory listings

Vladimir Malkin
I've used MikTeX on my old PC Windows 7 Pro 64bit and it worked normally.
Now, I've installed it on my new PC also Windows 7 Pro 64bit, but there is
a problem. The program stops working when I try to save a file under
another name, or to open another file from the program window. There is no
error message; it seems that the program simply cannot read the directory
listings, though otherwise it seems to work normally. Haven't you an idea
on how to fix the problem? Thank you.

Re: MikTeX does not open directory listings

Thompson,Paul-2
This does not make sense. MikTeX is not an editor or a directory management system. It is a formatting environment, and you need to use a text editor to edit a LaTeX document to work under MikTeX. So, you need to post a more complete statement about what you are doing, and specify exactly what you are doing when things become non-functional.

Re: MikTeX does not open directory listings

Vladimir Malkin
The MiKTeX package from http://miktex.org/download contains integrated
TeXworks editor.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Thompson,Paul <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This does not make sense. MikTeX is not an editor or a directory
> management system. It is a formatting environment, and you need to use a
> text editor to edit a LaTeX document to work under MikTeX. So, you need to
> post a more complete statement about what you are doing, and specify
> exactly what you are doing when things become non-functional.

Then you are using the TeXworks editor, not MikTeX. Precision and accuracy are important.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Thompson,Paul < [hidden email]> wrote:

> This does not make sense. MikTeX is not an editor or a directory
> management system. It is a formatting environment, and you need to use
> a text editor to edit a LaTeX document to work under MikTeX. So, you
> need to post a more complete statement about what you are doing, and
> specify exactly what you are doing when things become non-functional.

I'm using the package and would like to learn how to fix the problem in the
simplest way possible.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Thompson,Paul <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then you are using the TeXworks editor, not MikTeX. Precision and accuracy
> are important.

The problem is resolved. It was caused by that the miktex 64bit installer
put texworks into the directory for 64bit program files, while to work
properly it should be in the directory of 32bit program files. Running the
texworks installer from https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/releases put
it in the proper place.