Quantcast

MikTeX 2.9 fails to recognize (some) installed packages

MikTeX 2.9 fails to recognize (some) installed packages

Frank Michael Forger
Hello to all of you!

Although I have been using MikTeX for many years, I am new
to the forum: this is my first post.

After using MiTeX 2.6 for a couple of years on several
stand-alone machines, without ever facing any problem,
I have now run into one, after two computer crashes
forced me to reinstall the system on new machines.
On this occasion, I wanted to upgrade to the latest
version, since after Dec 31, 2010, the 2.6 and 2.7
versions will no longer be supported.

After installing the basic MikTeX 2.9 and adding the
packages I have always been using (but just by noting
their names on a piece of paper and then using the
MikTeX 2.9 package manager to download the latest 2.9
versions from the nearest repository), I found, when
compiling documents that compiled perfectly before,
that the system does not recognize some of the
packages listed in the preamble and compilation
then of course aborts even before it starts. This
happens even though the package manager lists these
packages as properly installed. And of course I did
run both the fndb refresh and format update programs
after installation!

This problem occurs with private style files
(stored in a directory that I usually copy to a
subdirectory of ~\MikTeX 2.x\tex\latex and which
in older versions of MikTeX is recognized without
any problem after running the fndb refresh), but
also with some of the "official" packages. For example,
installing the fancyhdr package under MikTeX 2.6 does
create a directory ~\MikTeX 2.6\tex\latex\fancyhdr
(with three files), as it should, but exactly the
same procedure under MikTeX 2.9 does NOT create a
subdirectory ~\MikTeX 2.9\tex\latex\fancyhdr.
No wonder that, later on, the compiler stops
dead and complains about an unknown package
when encountering the \usepackage{fancyhdr}
command. This also shows that the problem is
NOT with the fndb refresh or format update
programs, but with the package installation
program itself.

I also had problems with the pdf compiler, which
Windows XP shuts down after claiming it to work
improperly, and it produces corrupted pdf files.
And I haven't tried what happens under Windows 7!

These things always worked perfectly in previous
MikTeX versions, and now they don't. So is there
a more serious bug in the new version?

I already tried removing the entire system (tidily,
of course) and reinstalling it, but the problem
persists. So I am asking myself if I should revert
to MikTeX 2.8. This is bad policy, so before doing
so (without knowing whether it will solve my problems),
I thought it might be a good idea to place this post
in order to find out whether other participants of
the forum have faced similar problems or, better,
know what is going wrong or, even better, can
suggest a solution.

But at any rate, my congratulations to Christian Schenk
for the great job he is doing!

Michael Forger
Professor of Applied Mathmeatics
Departamento de Matemática Aplicada (MAP)
Instituto de Matemática e Estatística (IME)
Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
Home page: http://www.ime.usp.br/~forger

Re: MikTeX 2.9 fails to recognize (some) installed packages

Ulrike Fischer-2

am Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2010 um 05:40 schrieb Frank Michael Forger:

> Hello to all of you!

[Problems with package installation]

You description sounds as if you have installed miktex as admin for
all users. If you install a package in such a multiuser setup as admin
and update the FNDB as admin a user will not see this package if he
has a local FNDB. He has to update his own FNDB first.

If you are the only user who wants to use miktex: Use the
user-variants of all the tools. This will install everything in your
user roots and should work fine (and next time install miktex directly
in single user mode in your user account).

If you need to install package for more than one user, you will have
to do it as admin. In this case you must tell the user to update the
FNDB to see the packages, to run updmap to update the map-files if
fonts are involved and perhaps to deinstall their own local versions
of the packages..

> I also had problems with the pdf compiler, which
> Windows XP shuts down after claiming it to work
> improperly, and it produces corrupted pdf files.
> And I haven't tried what happens under Windows 7!

I'm using miktex 2.9. on a win XP without problems. Probably your
documents are faulty somehow. But without the exact wording of the
error message nobody can tell it.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Re: MikTeX 2.9 fails to recognize (some) installed packages

David Allsopp
Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> am Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2010 um 05:40 schrieb Frank Michael Forger:
>

> > Hello to all of you!
>
> [Problems with package installation]
>
> You description sounds as if you have installed miktex as admin for all
> users. If you install a package in such a multiuser setup as admin and
> update the FNDB as admin a user will not see this package if he has a
> local FNDB. He has to update his own FNDB first.

Is that definitely correct? Don't user and admin FNDBs scan different roots? I haven't tested with a package (on my MiKTeX 2.8 installation) but if I create C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX\2.8\tex\plain\foo.tex[1] then I have to update the *Admin* FNDB in order to say (from another directory not already containing foo.tex) "pdftex foo" and not get a file error. Updating my user FNDB (and I have one as I have several local roots) has no effect.

It's sort of how configuration files already work - e.g. with pdftex.cfg then if you run initexmf --dump=pdftex then you get the merging of the admin pdftex.cfg and the user pdftex.cfg (if it exists) - with user's pdftex.cfg taking precedence.

The problem sounds more to me as though the wrong files are being picked up (do you have legacy 2.6 roots which are being scanned?) or perhaps file names have changed in the packages since MiKTeX 2.6 days? pdflatex actually crashing sounds very weird - perhaps it would be a good idea to try 2.8 briefly just to see if the issue is something in 2.9. MiKTeX 2.8 is still fully supported (see http://miktex.org/releases) so it's not a bad decision to try it.

Try seeing if something very basic like "pdftex story" (which should always work and produce a one-page PDF from the TeXbook) work. Also worth checking - you are running Windows XP Service Pack 3?

David

[1] I don't advocate that as a generally good idea!

am Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2010 um 10:49 schrieb David Allsopp:

>> [Problems with package installation]
>>
>> You description sounds as if you have installed miktex as admin for all
>> users. If you install a package in such a multiuser setup as admin and
>> update the FNDB as admin a user will not see this package if he has a
>> local FNDB. He has to update his own FNDB first.

> Is that definitely correct?

No ;-(   I carried the situation for map-files (where you need a user
updmap) over to FNDB without really thinking it through.

> Don't user and admin FNDBs scan different roots?

Yes and I knew it. I have already helped user who installed file
manually in the main install folder, updated only its own FNDB and
wondered why it isn't found. So FNDB's are obviously additive: more
than one is used.

But I think that the set of roots must somehow overlap. Otherwise I
can't image why the move of ifxetex from the latex folder to the
generic folder gave such trouble.

But as I don't have a multiuser setup I can't really make tests.

It would be rather useful to have a text which shows the roots the
various FNDB's scan, which FNDB are updated by the various versions of
the package manager/update manager/on-the-fly installations.

Could you create a new local root as admin, and one as a normal user
and then call initexmf -u -v and initemxf --admin -u -v in  admin
account and user account and show the output?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Re: MikTeX 2.9 fails to recognize (some) installed packages

Frank Michael Forger
Hello, folks!

This is just to report that I have been able to overcome the
difficulty reported in my previous post of 21/10/2010.

What happens is that MikTeX 2.9, at least when installed as
admin (which is what I did, perhaps superfluously since I am
using a standalone machine on which there is - presently - just
one user), comes with two different package managers: one is
called "Package Manager" and the other "Package Manager (Admin)".
This distinction did not exist in MikTeX 2.6, which I used before,
so I did not pay so much attention and went ahead using the first
(the one without the "Admin" tag) to install several additional
packages after having run my initial installation. THIS DOES
NOT WORK! As I reported, the "package manager" pretends all
is ok, listing the packages as installed, but doing so it is
shamelessly lying to you, since it doesn't really install any
package: it doesn't even create the corresponding directories!
(In my situation there was just one possible place in the tree
where it could - and should - have done this.) And indeed: when
I looked things up using the "Package Manager (Admin)", the
packages that I had installed were listed as not installed.
So I simply redid everything using the "Package Manager (Admin)",
and now everything is ok: this solved the problem.

This duplicity is confusing, so I have a suggestion for the next
program update: Christian, wouldn't it be more logical to have just
one set of maintenance tools for everyone? Admin should see only
the admin version, and users without admin rights should see only
the users version.

But of course I may be missing some point here, so please just
take it as a layman's question.

Best regards, and thanks to all who sent me a reply.

Am Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:14:04 -0200 schrieb Frank Michael Forger:

> Hello, folks!
>
> This is just to report that I have been able to overcome the
> difficulty reported in my previous post of 21/10/2010.
>
> What happens is that MikTeX 2.9, at least when installed as
> admin (which is what I did, perhaps superfluously since I am
> using a standalone machine on which there is - presently - just
> one user), comes with two different package managers: one is
> called "Package Manager" and the other "Package Manager (Admin)".
> This distinction did not exist in MikTeX 2.6, which I used before,
> so I did not pay so much attention and went ahead using the first
> (the one without the "Admin" tag) to install several additional
> packages after having run my initial installation. THIS DOES
> NOT WORK!

Well I don't have multiuser installation but I doubt that the
non-admin package manager really didn't do anything. Each account on
your PC has its own set of local roots invisible to the other
accounts. My guess is that you used it in the admin account and so
it installed the packages in the local roots for the admin.
Naturally a user doesn't see them.

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:14:04 -0200 schrieb Frank Michael Forger:
>
>> Hello, folks!
>>
>> This is just to report that I have been able to overcome the
>> difficulty reported in my previous post of 21/10/2010.
>>
>> What happens is that MikTeX 2.9, at least when installed as
>> admin (which is what I did, perhaps superfluously since I am
>> using a standalone machine on which there is - presently - just
>> one user), comes with two different package managers: one is
>> called "Package Manager" and the other "Package Manager (Admin)".
>> This distinction did not exist in MikTeX 2.6, which I used before,
>> so I did not pay so much attention and went ahead using the first
>> (the one without the "Admin" tag) to install several additional
>> packages after having run my initial installation. THIS DOES
>> NOT WORK!
>
> Well I don't have multiuser installation but I doubt that the
> non-admin package manager really didn't do anything. Each account
> on your PC has its own set of local roots invisible to the other
> accounts. My guess is that you used it in the admin account and
> so it installed the packages in the local roots for the admin.
> Naturally a user doesn't see them.
>
> Ulrike Fischer

Hi, Ulrike!

Thanks. In principle, this should be so. I used a multi-user installation
so that if I decide to add another user later on, (s)he will be able to use
MikTeX without me having to reinstall anything. But for the time being,
there simply are no other users. So the non-admin package manager had no
other place to do anything than just the admin tree (admin = only user),
and it went happily on, pretending that everything was ok, announcing
that the packages had been installed correctly, when they hadn't,
without issuing any error message. That is the behavior I find
strange and that I am suggesting to change (in the next program
update, say).

Best regards

Michael Forger