Quantcast

MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

朱力行
Hi, everyone

I am now installing MikTeX 2.9 in Windows 8.1 64bit. The setup log shows an
error below:

"""
An error occurred:
  source file: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\Process.cpp
  source line: 305
  message: The operation failed for some reason.
  info: C:\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin\initexmf.exe
"""

The solution from Internet is mainly about the conflicts with Adobe Reader.
I have uninstalled, and the ".pdf" key has assign full access to Admin, but
these didn't work.

How can I fix this problem.

Regards,
Lixing Zhu

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:20:22 -0500 schrieb 朱力行:

> Hi, everyone
>
> I am now installing MikTeX 2.9 in Windows 8.1 64bit. The setup log shows an
> error below:
>
> """
> An error occurred:
>   source file: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\Process.cpp
>   source line: 305
>   message: The operation failed for some reason.
>   info: C:\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin\initexmf.exe
> """
>
> The solution from Internet is mainly about the conflicts with Adobe Reader.
> I have uninstalled, and the ".pdf" key has assign full access to Admin, but
> these didn't work.
>
> How can I fix this problem.

At first check if there is really a problem. Sometimes only some
step at the end (like creating the formats or calling fc-cache)
fails which you can easily call manually afterwards.

Test pdflatex, the package manager etc.

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Huiying Zhong
Dear Lixing and dear all,

I also have such kind of question when installing MikTex 2.9 in Windows 8.1.

message: The operation failed for some reason.
  info: C:\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin\initexmf.exe

I also try several ways to solve it. For example, uninstall the Acrobat Reader or the ".pdf" key full access to Admin, but still doesn't work.

Is there any solution now?

If I cannot overcome this  problem, then the TexStudio also doesn't work. It cannot connect to the right path to the Texworks bin file automatically and even I do it manually it still cannot build correctly.

Latex is a very important software for us group. It is grateful if you could give me some solution for that. Thank you and waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Huiying Zhong

Am Fri, 21 Feb 2014 05:49:50 -0800 (PST) schrieb Huiying Zhong:

> Dear Lixing and dear all,
>
> I also have such kind of question when installing MikTex 2.9 in Windows 8.1.
>
> message: The operation failed for some reason.
>   info: C:\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin\initexmf.exe
>
> I also try several ways to solve it. For example, uninstall the Acrobat
> Reader or the ".pdf" key full access to Admin, but still doesn't work.
>
> Is there any solution now?

You are not giving enough informations. initexmf can fail for
various reasons.

But if you don't need a shared setup I suggest that you try to
install miktex simply in your normal user account not for "anyone
who uses this computer" but "only for you" in C:\MiKTeX 2.9 (or some
other folder where you have writing rights).

If you need a shared setup try to install from an administrator
account and choose as installation folder the default in C:\program
files.

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Huiying Zhong
Dear Mr. Ulrike Fischer,

Thank you for your reply. I have installed the Latex successfully.
I did as follows, I am not quite sure which makes sense but finally it successfully installed:

1. Run regedt32.exe, then navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf
Rightclick .pdf, click permissions, and grant the administrator full rights.
2. uninstall the Acrobat reader
3. Put the initexmf.exe into C:Windows:\System32
4. Install the setup-2.9.4503.exe first and it successfully installed and then uninstall it and install setup-2.9.4503-x64.exe.
5. install the file into C:\Programm files

Best regards,
Huiying Zhong

Am Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:58:51 -0800 (PST) schrieb Huiying Zhong:

> Dear Mr. Ulrike Fischer,

I'm Mrs. Fischer

> Thank you for your reply. I have installed the Latex successfully.
> I did as follows, I am not quite sure which makes sense but finally it
> successfully installed:
>
> 1. Run regedt32.exe, then navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf
> Rightclick .pdf, click permissions, and grant the administrator full rights.
> 2. uninstall the Acrobat reader
> 3. Put the initexmf.exe into C:Windows:\System32
> 4. Install the setup-2.9.4503.exe first and it successfully installed and
> then uninstall it and install setup-2.9.4503-x64.exe.
> 5. install the file into C:\Programm files

Well I certainly never had to do such convoluted steps to install
miktex.

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Josef Kleber-2
Am 21.02.2014 19:52, schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
> Am Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:58:51 -0800 (PST) schrieb Huiying Zhong:
>
>> Dear Mr. Ulrike Fischer,
>
> I'm Mrs. Fischer

You will never give up, right? ;-)

SCNR,

Josef

---

Am Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:17:49 +0100 schrieb Josef Kleber:

>>> Dear Mr. Ulrike Fischer,

>> I'm Mrs. Fischer

> You will never give up, right? ;-)

Why should I?  I don't expect that everyone in the world knows that
"Ulrike" is the name of a woman - without a search I wouldn't have
an idea about the gender of "Huiying". But I don't find it very
polite to simply use "Mr." as default for unknown genders. It would
have been easy to write "dear Ulrike Fischer".

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Andreas Antoniou-2
Keep up the good work Ulrike. :-)

We appreciate it.

Andreas

On 22/02/2014 6:51 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>>> I'm Mrs. Fischer
>
>> You will never give up, right? ;-)
> Why should I?  I don't expect that everyone in the world knows that
> "Ulrike" is the name of a woman - without a search I wouldn't have
> an idea about the gender of "Huiying". But I don't find it very
> polite to simply use "Mr." as default for unknown genders. It would
> have been easy to write "dear Ulrike Fischer".

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

Huiying Zhong
Dear Mrs. Ulrike Fischer,

I should say sorry to you. It is not polite to call you incorrectly. Thank you for telling me. Hope you a nice day.

Best regards,
Huiying Zhong

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

thesunr19
Dear Huiying Zhong

I have tried as your method but it still the same problem when I install with "setup-2.9.4503.exe" !!!

1. Run regedt32.exe, then navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf
Rightclick .pdf, click permissions, and grant the administrator full rights.

--> For this I run regedt32.exe and give the full right for administrator already.

2. uninstall the Acrobat reader

--> Here I have uninstall Foxit Phantom PDF Reader already, I do not use Acrobat reader.

3. Put the initexmf.exe into C:Windows:\System32

--> It's done.

4. Install the setup-2.9.4503.exe first and it successfully installed and then uninstall it and install setup-2.9.4503-x64.exe.

--> When I install the setup-2.9.4503.exe it's still have the same problem!!!

5. install the file into C:\Programm files  --> Not yet.

Are there anyone has the way to solve this problem and I don't want to format my windows and reinstall again. :'(

Best regard,
TheSunR19

Re: MikTeX 2.9 Installation fails due to "initexmf.exe"

thesunr19
My OS is Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit.
I have uninstall and reinstall many times. I have tried to install just basic miktex but the same problem.

Please help...