Quantcast

MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

Jay_One
On my Windows 7 64-bit PC and Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop, MiKTeX 2.9 fails to install. I downloaded the latest version of the 32-bit installer, but when the process is almost complete an error message pops up:

"The operation could not be completed for the following reason:
The operation failed for some reason.

Details: C:\MiKTeX\miktex/bin/initexmf.exe"

I have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, both produce similar error messages. I have attached the log file from the setup. I simply do not understand why MiKTeX does not install.

setup-2014-03-19-15-00.log

error.png

Re: MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

David Allsopp
Jay_One wrote:

> On my Windows 7 64-bit PC and Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop, MiKTeX 2.9 fails
> to install. I downloaded the latest version of the 32-bit installer, but
> when the process is almost complete an error message pops up:
>
> "The operation could not be completed for the following reason:
> The operation failed for some reason.
>
> Details: C:\MiKTeX\miktex/bin/initexmf.exe"
>
> I have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, both produce similar error
> messages. I have attached the log file from the setup. I simply do not
> understand why MiKTeX does not install.
>
> setup-2014-03-19-15-00.log
> <http://miktex.10937.n7.nabble.com/file/n8535/setup-2014-03-19-15-00.log>
>
> error.png <http://miktex.10937.n7.nabble.com/file/n8535/error.png>

As an experiment, have you tried disabling any anti-virus / anti-malware software you may be running and then installing MiKTeX? (Re-enable it after installing, regardless of the success, obviously).

Additionally, which mirror are you using?

David

Re: MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

Jay_One
I tried installing with anti-virus/firewall disabled, same error.

I used the link provided at miktex.org/download which is a ctan.org mirror: mirrors.ctan.org/systems/win32/miktex/setup/basic-miktex-2.9.5105.exe

Jay_One wrote:
> I tried installing with anti-virus/firewall disabled, same error.

Darn - the log seems to show that program files (.exe, .dll) not being installed properly - it might have been an easy "fix"!

> I used the link provided at miktex.org/download which is a ctan.org
> mirror:
> mirrors.ctan.org/systems/win32/miktex/setup/basic-miktex-2.9.5105.exe

Perhaps try instead the net installer (http://www.miktex.org/download under "Other Downloads").

David

Re: MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:46:17 +0000 schrieb David Allsopp:

> Jay_One wrote:
>> I tried installing with anti-virus/firewall disabled, same error.

> Darn - the log seems to show that program files (.exe, .dll) not
> being installed properly - it might have been an easy "fix"!

Well perhaps it is simply a problem with the PATH variable.

Btw: I have already seen a similar error message
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/161041/fail-in-miktex-install-the-operation-failed-for-some-reason

I suspected a problem with the share setup but Jay_One used
SharedSetup: false, so this can't be the source of the problem.

Re: MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

Jay_One
I tried using the net installer on miktex.org and I got the same error message.

Re: MiKTeX 2.9 Installation fails

martin
For me turning the virus filter off solved the problem.