Quantcast

Mathcal fonts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Mathcal fonts

Emmanuel Racine

Hi, I am using the mathcal fonts in my LaTeX equation as in :  $\mathcal{X}$ . However, I just discovered that there are no version of these fonts for small letters. Any mathcal font with small letters in arguments produces a weird symbol not as neat as the capital letters. I searched in the AMS documentation about what font I could use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in small letters, but found nothing. Would anyone know what font to use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in small letters?

Thank's alot
Emmanuel

_________________________________________________________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MiKTeX-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mathcal fonts

Alex Degtyarev
As far as I know, they don't exist (at least, not in the AMS distribution),
probably, because the mathematicians don't need them :)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:miktex-users-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Emmanuel Racine
> Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:52 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MiKTeX] Mathcal fonts
>
>
> Hi, I am using the mathcal fonts in my LaTeX equation as in :
> $\mathcal{X}$ . However, I just discovered that there are no version of
> these fonts for small letters. Any mathcal font with small letters in
> arguments produces a weird symbol not as neat as the capital letters. I
> searched in the AMS documentation about what font I could use to make
> an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in small letters, but
> found nothing. Would anyone know what font to use to make an equivalent
> of the mathcal capital letters in small letters?
>
> Thank's alot
> Emmanuel
>
> _________________________________________________________________
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
> challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> _______________________________________________
> MiKTeX-Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MiKTeX-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mathcal fonts

George N. White III
In reply to this post by Emmanuel Racine
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Emmanuel Racine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I am using the mathcal fonts in my LaTeX equation as in :  $\mathcal{X}$ . However, I just discovered that there are no version of these fonts for small letters. Any mathcal font with small letters in arguments produces a weird symbol not as neat as the capital letters. I searched in the AMS documentation about what font I could use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in small letters, but found nothing. Would anyone know what font to use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in small letters?

The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbols List is a good place to look for a
particular shape.  The
name of the package is "comprehensive".

You can also search the Windows fonts folder for the shape you need.
Xe(la)tex may allow you to
use a symbol found in a system font directly (generally as a text
font, so in a \mbox for latex), or
you can try to make the font available to LaTeX.

If all that fails, look for the symbol in a book or paper and put a
scanned image (.png) on the web where we can
view it.

--
George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
MiKTeX-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mathcal fonts

Andreas Antoniou-2
At 09:27 AM 8/23/2008 Saturday, you wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Emmanuel Racine
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am using the mathcal fonts in my LaTeX equation as in
> :  $\mathcal{X}$ . However, I just discovered that there are no
> version of these fonts for small letters. Any mathcal font with
> small letters in arguments produces a weird symbol not as neat as
> the capital letters. I searched in the AMS documentation about what
> font I could use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital
> letters in small letters, but found nothing. Would anyone know what
> font to use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in
> small letters?
>
>The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbols List is a good place to look for a
>particular shape.  The
>name of the package is "comprehensive".

Dear friends,

George N. White III mentioned package "comprehensive", see above, as
a way of getting lots and lots of mathematical symbols. I have tried
to install the package with the Package Manager.  Six files were
downloaded as detailed in the Package Manager Window but I am not
sure as to whether the package was properly installed.  Anyway when I
run the following latex file

\documentclass[12pt]{report}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{comprehensive}
\begin{document}
Hello.
\EndDoc

I get the diagnostic

LaTeX Error: File 'comprehensive.sty' not found.

I am using the most recent update of MiKTeX 2.7.

Can someone help? I need to use a special symbol in a book contribution.

Thank you in advance.


-------------------------------
Andreas Antoniou
Professor Emeritus
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.
University of Victoria
P. O. Box 3055 STN CSC
Victoria, BC, CANADA V8W 3P6
-------------------------------
Tel. : (250) 721-4780
-------------------------------
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~andreas
-------------------------------


>You can also search the Windows fonts folder for the shape you need.
>Xe(la)tex may allow you to
>use a symbol found in a system font directly (generally as a text
>font, so in a \mbox for latex), or
>you can try to make the font available to LaTeX.
>
>If all that fails, look for the symbol in a book or paper and put a
>scanned image (.png) on the web where we can
>view it.
>
>--
>George N. White III <[hidden email]>
>Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
>Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
>Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
>http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>_______________________________________________
>MiKTeX-Users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MiKTeX-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Mathcal fonts

George N. White III
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Andreas Antoniou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 09:27 AM 8/23/2008 Saturday, you wrote:
>>On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Emmanuel Racine
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I am using the mathcal fonts in my LaTeX equation as in
>> :  $\mathcal{X}$ . However, I just discovered that there are no
>> version of these fonts for small letters. Any mathcal font with
>> small letters in arguments produces a weird symbol not as neat as
>> the capital letters. I searched in the AMS documentation about what
>> font I could use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital
>> letters in small letters, but found nothing. Would anyone know what
>> font to use to make an equivalent of the mathcal capital letters in
>> small letters?
>>
>>The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbols List is a good place to look for a
>>particular shape.  The
>>name of the package is "comprehensive".
>
> Dear friends,
>
> George N. White III mentioned package "comprehensive", see above, as
> a way of getting lots and lots of mathematical symbols. I have tried
> to install the package with the Package Manager.  Six files were
> downloaded as detailed in the Package Manager Window but I am not
> sure as to whether the package was properly installed.  Anyway when I
> run the following latex file
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{report}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage{comprehensive}
> \begin{document}
> Hello.
> \EndDoc
>
> I get the diagnostic
>
> LaTeX Error: File 'comprehensive.sty' not found.
>
> I am using the most recent update of MiKTeX 2.7.
>
> Can someone help? I need to use a special symbol in a book contribution.

The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbols List is a document that presents tables of
many fonts.   After installing the package you need to view the formatted
documentation using texdoc:

C:\testing>texdoc -l comprehensive
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\doc\info\symbols\comprehensive\symbols-a4.pdf
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\doc\info\symbols\comprehensive\symbols-letter.pdf



--
George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
MiKTeX-Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
Loading...