Latest TeXworks

12

Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
I'm looking forward to the latest TeXworks release and I was wondering how
soon we can expect it on MikTeX.

Is it expected to be a few months?
A few weeks?
A few years?  (I hope not!)

Does it matter whether "experimental" updates are enabled?
I currently have them turned off, but I am willing to enable them if it
means getting TeXworks 0.6 a few weeks sooner than otherwise.

If there's no chance of it coming to MikTeX soon, I might just install it
"stand-alone".

Thanks for the best TeX distribution out there!

Re: Latest TeXworks

Christian Schenk
On 4/5/2016 5:37 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> I'm looking forward to the latest TeXworks release and I was wondering how
> soon we can expect it on MikTeX.
>
> Is it expected to be a few months?
> A few weeks?
> A few years?  (I hope not!)

A bunch of new versions (including TeXworks 0.6) will be made available
within the next weeks. I will post a separate announcement here.

> Does it matter whether "experimental" updates are enabled?

TeXworks 0.6 will be first available in the experimental (NEXT)
repository. Please wait for the announcement before switching to the
experimental repository.

> If there's no chance of it coming to MikTeX soon, I might just install it
> "stand-alone".

Yes, soon (say next week) in the NEXT repository. The main (stable)
repository will get the new version(s) in May (or June).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
YAY!

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Christian Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/2016 5:37 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> > I'm looking forward to the latest TeXworks release and I was wondering
> how
> > soon we can expect it on MikTeX.
> >
> > Is it expected to be a few months?
> > A few weeks?
> > A few years?  (I hope not!)
>
> A bunch of new versions (including TeXworks 0.6) will be made available
> within the next weeks. I will post a separate announcement here.
>

> > Does it matter whether "experimental" updates are enabled?
>
> TeXworks 0.6 will be first available in the experimental (NEXT)
> repository. Please wait for the announcement before switching to the
> experimental repository.
>
> > If there's no chance of it coming to MikTeX soon, I might just install it
> > "stand-alone".
>
> Yes, soon (say next week) in the NEXT repository. The main (stable)
> repository will get the new version(s) in May (or June).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Don't like to nag, but any news?

On 4/13/2016 8:01 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> Don't like to nag, but any news?

TeXworks 0.6 is now in the "Next" repository (see
http://miktex.org/kb/miktex-next).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Yay!  How nervous should I be about Next?
On Apr 14, 2016 7:20 AM, "Christian Schenk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/13/2016 8:01 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> > Don't like to nag, but any news?
>
> TeXworks 0.6 is now in the "Next" repository (see
> http://miktex.org/kb/miktex-next).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Colin McLarty

The link http://miktex.org/kb/miktex-next addresses that.

> On Apr 14, 2016 7:20 AM, "Christian Schenk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 4/13/2016 8:01 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> > > Don't like to nag, but any news?
> >
> > TeXworks 0.6 is now in the "Next" repository (see
> > http://miktex.org/kb/miktex-next).

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

Re: Latest TeXworks

Christian Schenk
On 4/14/2016 8:24 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> Yay!  How nervous should I be about Next?

When "Next" is stable enough for testing, I will post an announcement
(website and this list).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Ok, so I shouldn't trust it with my thesis yet.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Christian Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/14/2016 8:24 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> > Yay!  How nervous should I be about Next?
>
> When "Next" is stable enough for testing, I will post an announcement
> (website and this list).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the worst
that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to Next.
Crashes?  Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this paragraph
vanish!)?  Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this
paragraph missing from the pdf!)?  Something worse?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so I shouldn't trust it with my thesis yet.
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Christian Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2016 8:24 PM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
>> > Yay!  How nervous should I be about Next?
>>
>> When "Next" is stable enough for testing, I will post an announcement
>> (website and this list).

Re: Latest TeXworks

Christian Schenk
On 4/17/2016 3:29 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the worst
> that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to Next.
> Crashes?  Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this paragraph
> vanish!)?  Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this
> paragraph missing from the pdf!)?  Something worse?

Hard to tell (without a sample) if this is a MiKTeX specific bug. Have
you tried the official (non-MiKTeX) 0.6?

Re: Latest TeXworks

David Allsopp
Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the
> worst that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to
> Next. Crashes?

Are always a possibility, even in Stable!

> Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this paragraph
> vanish!)?

Highly unlikely to come from MiKTeX, since no TeX tool alters the source file it's reading (indeed, you have to set things up quite carefully to allow TeX files to overwrite themselves during compilation). Of course, the editor you're using can corrupt a TeX file for you, but TeXworks is bundled in MiKTeX, not part of it (i.e. it relates to how much you trust TeXworks 0.6, not how much you trust MiKTeX Next).

> Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this paragraph
> missing from the pdf!)?

Similarly, would imply a bug one of the drivers (xetex, pdftex, etc.) so comes down to trusting the version of them in MiKTeX Next.

> Something worse?

Well, any piece of software can accidentally run rm -rf /*/ :o)

Seriously, if it's your thesis, then you are of course making daily offline backups and of course you're configuring your changes continuously using a source repository like git, so the absolutely worst case for a data corruption would be the loss of 24 hours' work?

The bigger concern would be being certain that you can get back to the exact state you were in before if you need to go back to MiKTeX Stable - i.e. the same versions of any LaTeX packages you are using. That can be harder to achieve - especially if you use a lot of packages - and for that reason I personally would not switch my main/working setup here, but instead would try this using a virtual environment - e.g. using VirtualBox.

David

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
To David Allsop: thank you, I think you've answered my question.
To Christian Schenk: you misread my email.  I am not trying to report a
bug.  I'm asking about the what kind of bugs I should be prepared to face
when I switch to Next.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 5:06 AM, David Allsopp <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> > Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the
> > worst that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to
> > Next. Crashes?
>
> Are always a possibility, even in Stable!
>
> > Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this paragraph
> > vanish!)?
>
> Highly unlikely to come from MiKTeX, since no TeX tool alters the source
> file it's reading (indeed, you have to set things up quite carefully to
> allow TeX files to overwrite themselves during compilation). Of course, the
> editor you're using can corrupt a TeX file for you, but TeXworks is bundled
> in MiKTeX, not part of it (i.e. it relates to how much you trust TeXworks
> 0.6, not how much you trust MiKTeX Next).
>
> > Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this paragraph
> > missing from the pdf!)?
>
> Similarly, would imply a bug one of the drivers (xetex, pdftex, etc.) so
> comes down to trusting the version of them in MiKTeX Next.
>
> > Something worse?
>
> Well, any piece of software can accidentally run rm -rf /*/ :o)
>
> Seriously, if it's your thesis, then you are of course making daily
> offline backups and of course you're configuring your changes continuously
> using a source repository like git, so the absolutely worst case for a data
> corruption would be the loss of 24 hours' work?
>
> The bigger concern would be being certain that you can get back to the
> exact state you were in before if you need to go back to MiKTeX Stable -
> i.e. the same versions of any LaTeX packages you are using. That can be
> harder to achieve - especially if you use a lot of packages - and for that
> reason I personally would not switch my main/working setup here, but
> instead would try this using a virtual environment - e.g. using VirtualBox.
>

> David

Re: Latest TeXworks

aleev
I install TeXWorks separately, but use with MiKTeX.
I have NO problems, both TeXWorks & MiKTeX work fine!
Rifkhat Aleev

> On 4/17/2016 3:29 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
>> Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the
>> worst
>> that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to Next.
>> Crashes?  Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this
>> paragraph
>> vanish!)?  Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this
>> paragraph missing from the pdf!)?  Something worse?
>
> Hard to tell (without a sample) if this is a MiKTeX specific bug. Have
> you tried the official (non-MiKTeX) 0.6?

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Thanks for the info!

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 11:51 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I install TeXWorks separately, but use with MiKTeX.
> I have NO problems, both TeXWorks & MiKTeX work fine!
> Rifkhat Aleev
>

> > On 4/17/2016 3:29 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> >> Thanks for the announcement.  I'm just trying to get a handle on "the
> >> worst
> >> that can happen, or at least is likely to happen" by switching to Next.
> >> Crashes?  Silent corruption of the tex file (e.g., where did this
> >> paragraph
> >> vanish!)?  Silent corruption of the pdf (why is the last word in this
> >> paragraph missing from the pdf!)?  Something worse?
> >
> > Hard to tell (without a sample) if this is a MiKTeX specific bug. Have
> > you tried the official (non-MiKTeX) 0.6?

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
I enabled NEXT to try out the latest TexWorks.  It turns out that one
of the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to no longer works.  So I switched
back to stable.  But now the latest TeXworks is on stable.  If I
update MikTeX now, is there an easy way to go back to the old TeXworks
if I don't like it, or will I have to do something heavy-handed like
System Restore?

Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> I enabled NEXT to try out the latest TexWorks.  It turns out that one of
> the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to no longer works.  So I switched back to
> stable.  But now the latest TeXworks is on stable.  If I update MikTeX
> now, is there an easy way to go back to the old TeXworks if I don't like
> it, or will I have to do something heavy-handed like System Restore?

It's a good reason for maintaining your own private copy of the repository. You can do this either by using the Download only option or net setup or by mirroring systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages on CTAN. This way, you always at least can get the setup program and precise repository for a "known good" configuration.

David

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
That sounds like work.  And disk space intensive.

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM, David Allsopp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
>> I enabled NEXT to try out the latest TexWorks.  It turns out that one of
>> the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to no longer works.  So I switched back to
>> stable.  But now the latest TeXworks is on stable.  If I update MikTeX
>> now, is there an easy way to go back to the old TeXworks if I don't like
>> it, or will I have to do something heavy-handed like System Restore?
>
> It's a good reason for maintaining your own private copy of the repository. You can do this either by using the Download only option or net setup or by mirroring systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages on CTAN. This way, you always at least can get the setup program and precise repository for a "known good" configuration.
>

> David

Re: Latest TeXworks

George N. White III
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Mark Yagnatinsky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That sounds like work.  And disk space intensive.
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM, David Allsopp <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Mark Yagnatinsky wrote:
> >> I enabled NEXT to try out the latest TexWorks.  It turns out that one of
> >> the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to no longer works.  So I switched back
> >> stable.  But now the latest TeXworks is on stable.  If I update MikTeX
> >> now, is there an easy way to go back to the old TeXworks if I don't like
> >> it, or will I have to do something heavy-handed like System Restore?
> >
> > It's a good reason for maintaining your own private copy of the
> repository. You can do this either by using the Download only option or net
> setup or by mirroring systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages on CTAN. This way,
> you always at least can get the setup program and precise repository for a
> "known good" configuration.

The repository is not large and disk is cheaper than time.  You can set up
mirroring so it runs while the system isn't being used, and then you always
have a full set of packages available without download delays.   In
practice you don't need a fast disk for this -- a cheap external USB drive
is well suited to the job.

--
George N. White III <[hidden email]>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

Re: Latest TeXworks

Mark Yagnatinsky
Is there an easy way to set this up?  Or is it "write your download
script and try to debug it"?