Help with "wedding" font in plain TeX

George Stewart
I have a plain-TeX source file ready to go that makes a nice wedding
program. But I need a script font for the headings. Something like Windows
Edwardian Script (Open Type) which comes in a file called ITCEdscr.TTF.

My wedding program source file works both with PCTeX and with MiKTex 2.9.
However, I have been unable to install the script font into either system.
Without getting into the details of why I have not been able to use system
resources to do the installation, I am wondering if someone can help me do
a manual installation into either one of these systems, PCTeX or MiKTeX.

Here are my specific questions:

1. I have the True Type font, in this case, ITCEdscr.ttf, located in a
directory C:\temp.
How do I get that file to tto make the files I need for plain TeX to use it
(.pfb, .tfm, .enc, .map and any others)? I think I start with ttf2afm but
am not sure.

2. Into which directories would I place these files (.pfb, .tfm, .enc,
.map, etc.)

3. What else would I have to do, so that I can simply go:

\font\scriptheadingone=ITCEdscr at 24pt
\font\scriptheadingtwo-ITCEdscr at 18pt

in my plain TeX source file?

Obviously I am looking for a quick and dirty, manual-effort solution.

If there is some charitable soul in the US who wouldn't mind walking me
through this, I would be happy to give a telephone number to accomplish
that.  If someone helps me get the script font working in my source file
(either through emails back and forth or telephone calls), I will gladly
express my appreciation to that person with a $100 gift (would have to work
out the mechanism: gift card or something like that).

Please help! Wedding program needs to be printed in about 7 days. Thank you.

Thank you.

George Stewart

Re: Help with "wedding" font in plain TeX

Ulrike Fischer-2
Am Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:17:24 -0400 schrieb George Stewart:

> I have a plain-TeX source file ready to go that makes a nice wedding
> program. But I need a script font for the headings. Something like Windows
> Edwardian Script (Open Type) which comes in a file called ITCEdscr.TTF.

Check https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-1/tb94thanh.pdf

Re: Help with "wedding" font in plain TeX

Mark Yagnatinsky
I suggest asking on tex.stackexchange.com.  They have many wizards there.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Ulrike Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:17:24 -0400 schrieb George Stewart:
>
> > I have a plain-TeX source file ready to go that makes a nice wedding
> > program. But I need a script font for the headings. Something like
> Windows
> > Edwardian Script (Open Type) which comes in a file called ITCEdscr.TTF.
>
> Check https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-1/tb94thanh.pdf
>

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

Re: Help with "wedding" font in plain TeX

David Allsopp
George Stewart wrote:

> I have a plain-TeX source file ready to go that makes a nice wedding
> program. But I need a script font for the headings. Something like Windows
> Edwardian Script (Open Type) which comes in a file called ITCEdscr.TTF.
>
> My wedding program source file works both with PCTeX and with MiKTex 2.9.
> However, I have been unable to install the script font into either system.
> Without getting into the details of why I have not been able to use system
> resources to do the installation, I am wondering if someone can help me do
> a manual installation into either one of these systems, PCTeX or MiKTeX.
>
> Here are my specific questions:
>
> 1. I have the True Type font, in this case, ITCEdscr.ttf, located in a
> directory C:\temp.
> How do I get that file to tto make the files I need for plain TeX to use
> it (.pfb, .tfm, .enc, .map and any others)? I think I start with ttf2afm
> but am not sure.
>
> 2. Into which directories would I place these files (.pfb, .tfm, .enc,
> .map, etc.)
>
> 3. What else would I have to do, so that I can simply go:
>
> \font\scriptheadingone=ITCEdscr at 24pt
> \font\scriptheadingtwo-ITCEdscr at 18pt
>
> in my plain TeX source file?
>
> Obviously I am looking for a quick and dirty, manual-effort solution.
>
> If there is some charitable soul in the US who wouldn't mind walking me
> through this, I would be happy to give a telephone number to accomplish
> that.  If someone helps me get the script font working in my source file
> (either through emails back and forth or telephone calls), I will gladly
> express my appreciation to that person with a $100 gift (would have to
> work out the mechanism: gift card or something like that).
>
> Please help! Wedding program needs to be printed in about 7 days. Thank
> you.

I did a lot of messing around with fontinst and MiKTeX years ago to get some .pfb files I'd bought to be usable with pdftex. Although I adapted it for using .ttf files too, I've never managed get that to work properly with .dvi (getting ttfonts.map to work, etc.). The documentation on it is woeful (for TeX in general, not just MiKTeX) and you end up deciphering and having to update guides which describe much older version. I've just battled trying to get Edwardian Script ITC installed using fontinst, but something is wrong with the encoding in pdftex and then spacing in dvips/yap!

But it does beg a simpler question: does anything prevent you using xetex, given that this is one of the main things xetex was created to solve? For example, Test.tex:

  \font\foo="Edwardian Script ITC" at 12pt
  \foo Hello world!
  \bye

followed by:

xetex Test

just works, assuming that Edwardian Script ITC is installed on your Windows system.

David