Cannot install on Win XP

hz hzmonte
I understand that Win XP is partially supported per
https://miktex.org/kb/prerequisites  But I am not even able to install MiKTeX.  I got the following error when I executed basic-miktex-2.9.6219.exe

An error occurred:
  source file: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\File\win\winFile.cpp
  source line: 488
  message: Permission denied: path="C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin/MiKTeX209-getopt.dll"
  info: path="C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin/MiKTeX209-getopt.dll"

Re: Cannot install on Win XP

David Allsopp
hz hzmonte wrote:

> I understand that Win XP is partially supported per
> https://miktex.org/kb/prerequisites  But I am not even able to install
> MiKTeX.  I got the following error when I executed basic-miktex-
> 2.9.6219.exe
>
> An error occurred:
>   source file: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\File\win\winFile.cpp
>   source line: 488
>   message: Permission denied: path="C:\Program Files\MiKTeX
> 2.9\miktex/bin/MiKTeX209-getopt.dll"
>   info: path="C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex/bin/MiKTeX209-getopt.dll"

Please don't post an identical message within 12 hours of the previous one - it's extremely rude, and in general a good route to being added to spam lists.

I can install Basic MiKTeX 2.9.6219 on an old Windows XP SP3 VM with no problem, so it's something on your system, not something to do with MiKTeX's Windows XP Support.

David

Re: Cannot install on Win XP

hz hzmonte

"Convenience" means that just blaming "something" without due consideration to the cause.  For example, it is convenient to conclude that there must be "something" wrong with a student if he fails an exam while some others, or even all of the rest of the students pass.  I think a good educator should carefully look into the matter before making the conclusion, at least finding out what that "something" is.
As I said in my original post, per https://miktex.org/kb/prerequisites, "Windows XP with Service Pack 3; only partially supported: TeXworks will not work"  To me, that means Miktex except TeXworks should work on Win XP SP3.  And Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000 are (truly) unsupported: "MiKTeX does not work on legacy Windows platforms (Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000)".  "partially supported" certainly should not mean it works on some configs of WinXP and does not work on other configs of WinXP.

Re: Cannot install on Win XP

Siep Kroonenberg
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 03:22:43AM +0000, hz hzmonte wrote:

> "Convenience" means that just blaming "something" without due consideration to the cause.  For example, it is convenient to conclude that there must be "something" wrong with a student if he fails an exam while some others, or even all of the rest of the students pass.  I think a good educator should carefully look into the matter before making the conclusion, at least finding out what that "something" is.
> As I said in my original post, per https://miktex.org/kb/prerequisites, "Windows XP with Service Pack 3; only partially supported: TeXworks will not work"  To me, that means Miktex except TeXworks should work on Win XP SP3.  And Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000 are (truly) unsupported: "MiKTeX does not work on legacy Windows platforms (Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000)".  "partially supported" certainly should not mean it works on some configs of WinXP and does not work on other configs of WinXP.

Things can fail on Windows in lots of mysterious ways.

But here is another suggestion: install either portable MiKTeX or
regular TeX Live in portable mode on another system, and transfer it
to your XP computer.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

Re: Cannot install on Win XP

hz hzmonte
I installed a second time onto another directory and this time it succeeded. I am now using it (but not TexWork).  Thank you everyone.