Add entry to table of contents

juan_carretero (Bugzilla)
Hello,

I am currently creating a document using the default
report style.  I was asked to add the preliminary
sections to the table of contents.  That is, I need to
add the list of tables, the acknoledgments, list of
figures, etc.  Unfortunately, the default style do not
seem to allow me to do that unless I define them as a
\chapter{Acknowledgement} but I need to use
\chapter*{Acknowledgements} (or alike) so the number
does not appear on the section title itself.

Any idea?

             Juan Antonio

Re: Add entry to table of contents

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Juan Carretero <[hidden email]> [2005-09-09]:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently creating a document using the default
> report style.  I was asked to add the preliminary
> sections to the table of contents.  That is, I need to
> add the list of tables, the acknoledgments, list of
> figures, etc.  Unfortunately, the default style do not
> seem to allow me to do that unless I define them as a
> \chapter{Acknowledgement} but I need to use
> \chapter*{Acknowledgements} (or alike) so the number
> does not appear on the section title itself.

This is FAQ - read about \addcontentsline and \addtocontents on
<ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC172>
or search comp.text.tex <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex>
if you want some examples.

Hans

Re: Add entry to table of contents

juan_carretero (Bugzilla)

Thank you Hans, I had tried \addtocontents but it was
obviously the wrong choice.  \addcontentsline  did the
trick for me.

Cheers,

              Juan Antonio

--- "Hans F. Nordhaug" <[hidden email]>