Quantcast

A small question about \textheight

Yuzhe Zhang
What if I want the first page of my document to have a larger \textheight than the other pages?

If I put "\textheight  (xxx)pt" in the preamble, then the setting of all pages are modified.
If I put "\textheight  (xxx)pt" right after \begin{document}, and use " {}" to restrict the domain of
"\textheight  (xxx)pt" to the first page, it still changes the length of all pages.

How to do it? Can anybody tell me? Thanks a lot.

Re: A small question about \textheight

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Yuzhe Zhang <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> What if I want the first page of my document to have a larger \textheight
> than the other pages?
>  If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" in the preamble, then the setting of all
> pages are modified.
> If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" right after \begin{document}, and use " {}"
> to restrict the domain of
> "\textheight (xxx)pt" to the first page, it still changes the length of all
> pages.
>  How to do it? Can anybody tell me? Thanks a lot.

\enlargethispage{some_length}

where some_length could be 2cm if you wanted to add 2cm :-)

Hans

Ref
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC110

pentru romanii de pe forum.....

ROMEO PETRUCA
cum pot "obliga" MikTex sa nu desparta un cuvint in
silabe(substantive proprii).

Romeo Petruca
George Enescu 16/13
Hunedoara
0720301842

Re: pentru romanii de pe forum.....

Andrei Horvat-Marc

Nu prea inteleg ce se intimpla de desparte cuvintul in
silabe, Oricum incercati

\hyphenation{words}

si words=cuvintul respectiv fara ai preciza
despartirea in silabe

dar, cel mai elegant ar fi sa "aranjati" textul
folosind comanda

\linebreak

inserata acolo unde vreti ca rindul sa fie intrerupt,
restul rindului fiind "intins" pina la margine.
--- ROMEO PETRUCA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cum pot "obliga" MikTex sa nu desparta un cuvint in
> silabe(substantive proprii).
>
> Romeo Petruca
> George Enescu 16/13
> Hunedoara
> 0720301842

> Tame your development challenges with Apache's
> Geronimo App Server. Download
> it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv
> or your very own
> Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play:
> http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php

Andrei Horvat-Marc

Re: pentru romanii de pe forum.....

Darío Gabriel Pérez
Try to stay with the english please

Regards, Dario.

On 9/14/05, Andrei Horvat-Marc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nu prea inteleg ce se intimpla de desparte cuvintul in
> silabe, Oricum incercati
>
> \hyphenation{words}
>
> si words=cuvintul respectiv fara ai preciza
> despartirea in silabe
>
> dar, cel mai elegant ar fi sa "aranjati" textul
> folosind comanda
>
> \linebreak
>
> inserata acolo unde vreti ca rindul sa fie intrerupt,
> restul rindului fiind "intins" pina la margine.
> --- ROMEO PETRUCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > cum pot "obliga" MikTex sa nu desparta un cuvint in
> > silabe(substantive proprii).
> >
> > Romeo Petruca
> > George Enescu 16/13
> > Hunedoara
> > 0720301842

> > Tame your development challenges with Apache's
> > Geronimo App Server. Download
> > it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv
> > or your very own
> > Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play:
> > http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
> >

> Andrei Horvat-Marc

Re: A small question about \textheight

Yuzhe Zhang
Thanks Hans,
 I tried the method you suggested and it works. But now the problem is that all
the extra lines on the first page takes the space of the footer, ( i actually want
the space in the header to be taken.) Do you have any suggestions about how to
reduce  the "\voffset" only for the first page while keeping the other papes normal?

yuzhe

On 9/14/05, Hans F. Nordhaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Yuzhe Zhang <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> What if I want the first page of my document to have a larger \textheight
> than the other pages?
>  If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" in the preamble, then the setting of all
> pages are modified.
> If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" right after \begin{document}, and use " {}"
> to restrict the domain of
> "\textheight (xxx)pt" to the first page, it still changes the length of all
> pages.
>  How to do it? Can anybody tell me? Thanks a lot.

\enlargethispage{some_length}

where some_length could be 2cm if you wanted to add 2cm :-)

Hans

Ref
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC110

Re: A small question about \textheight

Paul A. Thompson
At 11:31 AM 9/14/2005, you wrote:

>Thanks Hans,
>  I tried the method you suggested and it works. But now the problem is
> that all
>the extra lines on the first page takes the space of the footer, ( i
>actually want
>the space in the header to be taken.) Do you have any suggestions about how to
>reduce  the "\voffset" only for the first page while keeping the other
>papes normal?
>

>yuzhe

look for \changepage

>On 9/14/05, Hans F. Nordhaug
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>* Yuzhe Zhang <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]>
>[2005-09-14]:
> > What if I want the first page of my document to have a larger \textheight
> > than the other pages?
> >  If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" in the preamble, then the setting of all
> > pages are modified.
> > If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" right after \begin{document}, and use " {}"
> > to restrict the domain of
> > "\textheight (xxx)pt" to the first page, it still changes the length of all
> > pages.
> >  How to do it? Can anybody tell me? Thanks a lot.
>
>\enlargethispage{some_length}
>
>where some_length could be 2cm if you wanted to add 2cm :-)
>
>Hans
>
>Ref
><http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC110>http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC110

Paul A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Division of Biostatistics
660 S. Euclid, St. Louis, MO 63110
314-747-3793

Re: A small question about \textheight

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Yuzhe Zhang <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> Thanks Hans,
>  I tried the method you suggested and it works. But now the problem
>  is that all the extra lines on the first page takes the space of
>  the footer, ( i actually want the space in the header to be taken.)
>  Do you have any suggestions about how to reduce the "\voffset" only
>  for the first page while keeping the other papes normal?  yuzhe

I think you should read some manuals... If you want it at the start of
the page try \vspace with a negative length. Maybe you don't need
\enlargethispage at all.

Hans

Ref: <ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC153>

>  On 9/14/05, Hans F. Nordhaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > * Yuzhe Zhang <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> > > What if I want the first page of my document to have a larger
> > > \textheight than the other pages?  If I put "\textheight
> > > (xxx)pt" in the preamble, then the setting of all pages are
> > > modified.  If I put "\textheight (xxx)pt" right after
> > > \begin{document}, and use "{}" to restrict the domain of
> > > "\textheight (xxx)pt" to the first page, it still changes the
> > > length of all pages.  How to do it? Can anybody tell me? Thanks
> > > a lot.
> >
> > \enlargethispage{some_length}
> >
> > where some_length could be 2cm if you wanted to add 2cm :-)
> >
> > Hans
> >
> > Ref
> >
> > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.html#SEC110

Re: A small question about \textheight

Hans F. Nordhaug
* Paul Thompson <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:

> At 11:31 AM 9/14/2005, you wrote:
> >Thanks Hans,
> >I tried the method you suggested and it works. But now the problem
> >is that all the extra lines on the first page takes the space of
> >the footer, ( i actually want the space in the header to be taken.)
> >Do you have any suggestions about how to reduce  the "\voffset"
> >only for the first page while keeping the other papes normal?
> >

> >yuzhe
>
> look for \changepage

Paul is pointing to the chngpage package I think:
<http://tug.ctan.org/info?id=chngpage>

Hans

At 12:26 PM 9/14/2005, you wrote:

>* Paul Thompson <[hidden email]> [2005-09-14]:
> > At 11:31 AM 9/14/2005, you wrote:
> > >Thanks Hans,
> > >I tried the method you suggested and it works. But now the problem
> > >is that all the extra lines on the first page takes the space of
> > >the footer, ( i actually want the space in the header to be taken.)
> > >Do you have any suggestions about how to reduce  the "\voffset"
> > >only for the first page while keeping the other papes normal?
> > >

> > >yuzhe
> >
> > look for \changepage
>
>Paul is pointing to the chngpage package I think:
><http://tug.ctan.org/info?id=chngpage>
>
>Hans

Viellen dank, you are correct